Dahua Smart Pss excessive Bandwidth usage

Reaction score
Hello Guys
So I have a 32Chanell dahua NVR which I'm going to view from a different location 24/7 via a limited bandwidth link.
the problem is that SmartPss uses around 4Mbps as soon as you log in to the NVR From it but before viewing any camera.if you start viewing cams the bandwidth usage goes higher.
so it seems that this 4Mbps is acting as an offset and I'm wondering what is it being used for and how to reduce/delete it since I have to pay for the bandwidth usage.
I inspected the so mentioned 4Mbps traffic and 90% of was only TCP/ack and TCP/psh.
by the way, another strange thing is that although dahua NVR's support UDP, SmartPss and the android client only support TCP which on the opposite uses around twice the bandwidth.
I have 10 cameras and would like to send their live sub feed over a 1Mbps - 2Mbps link.
thanks in advance for your help

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious but.....do you need to use Smart PSS? Couldn't you just login to the NVR's main IP address instead? Might be easier on bandwidth for you...?

Reaction score
Hey. I kinda have to use some kind of viewing software because I have two of this NVR's and want to show all on one display in an organised manner. But if you know some other software which does the job and is preferably free please let me know

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense then. I think no matter what, you're gonna have a -very- difficult time if your link is only 1-2Mb. I previously had a link that was 1Mb, and even viewing a single camera's sub-stream (which were around 512Kb as opposed to the 8Mb main stream) was nearly impossible without constant stuttering, pausing stuttering, pausing, etc. To view 10 cameras at once, you'd had to use something like like 64k substreams, which you can't even do, as 256k substreams are the lowest you can go, at least on my cameras, which is still more bandwidth needed than you have, and would totally saturate the link and cause a lot of retransmissions, etc. which will result in crappy video and stuttering and errors viewing stuff.

I wish I could help more but, that link is going to be nothing but problematic, IMHO.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 1 Mbps uplink and occasionally use smartPss remotely. It works reasonably well for my 10 fps substreams, (one camera at a time) and is barely worth a hoot for the main streams.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I run 25 substreams most all day.
I wonder if its more a computer or other device capability issue than SmartPSS?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No, sorry. But all substeams are running 1024 on an old laptop

I'm just saying my experience is that bandwidth constraints and usage typically come from the equipment/connection. While the PC-NVR component of SmartPSS sucks ( I dont use it I just use the viewer/playback module), Ive not seen anything indicating it sucks bandwidth while open with no cameras streaming.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, whew, thanks for clarifying. I was hoping I could get some of that secret sauce to stream 25 cameras over a 1Mb link, haha. :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose if you set the bitrate low enough they might, not sure what the lowest rate is?
Im not a network guy so you probably have a better grip on it than I do.

tt55123

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. Were you able to find a solution for this?

I have 3 Dahua NVRs that don't have this problem and 2 Dahua NVRs that immediately use 15-20 Mbps as soon as you login. The only difference is the ones that don't have a problem are using some older Hikvision cameras whereas the NVRs with bandwidth problems are using Dahua cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR shouldn’t be using 15-20 Mbps without having a number of main live streams with high bitrates running….?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have solved this remote smartPss+low bandwidth link to my satisfaction, by running smartPss on the NVR's local network, then accessing it with remote desktop software. On the NVR end I'm using a headless generation 3 HP Pro Desk Mini with a i3-6100T CPU and SSD. All that's on it is a clean install of win 7, smartPss and Teamviewer. Teamviewer runs automatically on bootup, I can log into it from anywhere, then start and use smartPss. Teamviewer does a pretty good job of trading off image quality vs. performance with the low bandwidth connection. With smartPss on the remote computer, the only choices are substreams with ok performance, or main streams with crap performance. The other huge advantage is the remote computer can run Linux, kinda-sorta running smartPss on Linux, with the little computer being a windows-to-Linux converter for smartPss.

tt55123

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a decent workaround but not ideal for us.
It just seems like the NVRs are prebuffering all streams and sending it out right away upon login. With some NVRs not exhibiting this behaviour I have to believe there's a setting I'm missing.

tt55123

n3wb
Reaction score
Figured out a fix for anyone with the same problem.
Changed the protocol type for each camera from "private" to "onvif".

I have no idea why it works but happy that it does. Appreciate the help everyone.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder if P2p got enabled on the some of the cams upon initialization and they’re phoning home through any route they find?