Dahua software capabilities

Mr. Krabs

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a foscam FI9805w that I've been mostly happy with. It's image quality has been fairly low, but it produced a clear pic that police were able to use for identification in the case of a prowler, so it's shown some value.

It's time to get a new cam, and I've been reading about the Starlight dahua's. I know that the image quality will be worlds better, so I'm not going to focus on that right now. I'm not too savvy in reading software specs, but there are some features of the foscam that I really like and want to have in my next IPcam. In my use case, one cam in a carport, I would like to avoid an NVR, so ideally these functions would exist in the cam itself. If this community can confirm that I will be able to make this work, I'm ready to buy.
  • SMTP of motion detected snaps. -- This functionality as an alert has been great and has led to a couple calls to police while I've been at work to investigate strangers in the carport.
  • FTP or SMB to NAS of motion detected video-- I've got a 3TB NAS where I store the video, and I want to keep using this.
Just for kicks, I've attached a few snaps of the location, as you can see I've got some lighting challenges with my camera in the shadows and the bright outside world over saturating things.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With a Dahua NVR with the Dahua Mobile Apps you can get push notifications of detected video; in less than a second of activity your mobile will be showing video.. much better than emailing still pictures (wont email video).. but the cameras cant do them its self.. they can send emails but its not horribly reliable and you only get one image per event so it might not even contain the target you want.

You can save to FTP server but it wont manage space; it will fill your NAS up to capacity and then fail unless your NAS cleans up files its self..

You'll be much happier if you use a real NVR solution; either a hardware Dahua or a PC NVR like BlueIris or Milestone..

Mr. Krabs

n3wb
Reaction score
With a Dahua NVR with the Dahua Mobile Apps you can get push notifications of detected video; in less than a second of activity your mobile will be showing video
That's pretty sweet, but more than doubles what I was planning on spending. I'm bummed about the functionality loss, limited experience gave me high expectations. I'll go check out the blue iris forum to learn about trying to do what I want using that. Thanks for your help.