DB6I - unable to finish setup after hard reset

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a DB6I and was having some issues with recording to the SD card. I (mistakenly) assumed a hard reset might help. Unfortunately, now I can't re-setup the doorbell camera. The device gets stuck on the screen where it tries to connect to WiFi. After 60 seconds, it times out and gives the following error:

"Abnormal device connection."
1. Check whether the network connection has been established.
2. Check whether the Wi-Fi network is normal.
3. Check whether the Wi-FI password is correct. If not, restart the device hotspot.
4. Check whether the device is working normally. If not, restart it.

In addition to confirming the steps above, I have restarted my WiFi, tried changing the WiFi SSID and password, uninstalled and reinstalled DMSS, used three different iOS devices logged into my DMSS account, and gone through the setup process 100 times (trying slight variations in my process) -- all to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

Attachments

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are there characters in the WiFi name?
I discovered painstakingly a year ago what ring tech support didn’t even know that their stuff would not connect to a WiFi name ending in an ‘s.

Reaction score
Are there characters in the WiFi name?
I discovered painstakingly a year ago what ring tech support didn’t even know that their stuff would not connect to a WiFi name ending in an ‘s.
Good thought and thanks for the suggestion. There aren’t any characters in the WiFi name, and the device was successfully connected to the exact same WiFi setup for three months prior to the hard reset. I reset it because it wasn’t recording to the SD card as expected.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have that model but I believe you press the reset button once (don't hold down) to get the DB into Wi-Fi hot spot mode wherein the DB transmits its Wi-Fi with an SSID that you look for and connect to with your smartphone (where the app is installed), then you get the DB to "look" for you home's Wi-Fi SSID and get the DB to connect to that.

I could be wrong...wife says I've been wrong many, MANY times. :highfive:

Reaction score
I don't have that model but I believe you press the reset button once (don't hold down) to get the DB into Wi-Fi hot spot mode wherein the DB transmits its Wi-Fi with an SSID that you look for and connect to with your smartphone (where the app is installed), then you get the DB to "look" for you home's Wi-Fi SSID and get the DB to connect to that.

I could be wrong...wife says I've been wrong many, MANY times. :highfive:
Your explanation is exactly right. Unfortunately, it’s in that process of connecting to the selected WiFi SSID that it times out and throws the error outlined.

To note, the device setup successfully through the exact same process and WiFi several months ago. My guess is that the problem now has something to do with deleting the camera out of DMSS and performing the hard reset. It doesn’t want to add it back for some reason.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would try a few more factory resets. Some of these things take 3 resets.

Reaction score
I would try a few more factory resets. Some of these things take 3 resets.
I wish it was that easy. :) I think I’ve reset it 50+ times at this point. I tried slight variations each time to try to isolate the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.