DC : New Guy

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DC area. Looking to set-up a slick home system and want to do it right! I've gotten to the point in my life (old) that I want to simply do it right the first time.

Look forward to learning from those with experience and knowledge I lack.

Corner lot home in neighborhood. I have a 1000 foot reel of Cat6 and the tools to run/terminate it.

NVR -- pre-built or DIY?

Only looking to do outside surveillance ATM. Record a few days worth. Work in ALPR. Maybe some zone alerts. Prefer it not push to a cloud. Idea is to monitor the goings on (on site and remotely) and if something were to happen, the problem likely passed my house.

Reaction score
Hey there, I am sure everyone has a differing opinion on what the best setup would be but I can tell you I really enjoyed building my own system as it is pretty easy for the most part but you will undoubtedly have times of pure frustration. I chose a Lenovo Think Server as my setup running Blue Iris NVR software. I have 5 Foscam IP cams of varying types and will agree with most of the community they are "OK" for the average person but can be a bit of a pain to setup but they have been reliable for me over wired connections. Looking back I probably would have gone with some Hikvision cams instead. But at the end of the day IMO the great thing about having your own system is that you built it and know everything about it. It pays to be selective in what components you choose and as is often the case but not always quality comes at a higher cost. That being said I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000-$1500 invested in my system. Keep on the lookout for sales and build a piece at a time if money is an issue! Good luck with the cams and once you start you'll be hooked!

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey there, I am sure everyone has a differing opinion on what the best setup would be but I can tell you I really enjoyed building my own system as it is pretty easy for the most part but you will undoubtedly have times of pure frustration. I chose a Lenovo Think Server as my setup running Blue Iris NVR software. I have 5 Foscam IP cams of varying types and will agree with most of the community they are "OK" for the average person but can be a bit of a pain to setup but they have been reliable for me over wired connections. Looking back I probably would have gone with some Hikvision cams instead. But at the end of the day IMO the great thing about having your own system is that you built it and know everything about it. It pays to be selective in what components you choose and as is often the case but not always quality comes at a higher cost. That being said I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000-$1500 invested in my system. Keep on the lookout for sales and build a piece at a time if money is an issue! Good luck with the cams and once you start you'll be hooked!
Thank you kindly.

I plan to piecemeal. I would rather it be a stout, quality system. I am learning buy once, cry once.