DD-WRT anyone?

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone here run DD-WRT on their router? I'm using a Netgear r7000 that I flashed with a recent version of DD-WRT. It's running a WireGuard VPN server that allows me to access my Blue Iris box when I'm away from home. Just curious if anyone else here has gone down that route (no pun intended).

Reaction score
Does anyone here run DD-WRT on their router? I'm using a Netgear r7000 that I flashed with a recent version of DD-WRT. It's running a WireGuard VPN server that allows me to access my Blue Iris box when I'm away from home. Just curious if anyone else here has gone down that route (no pun intended).
I ran DD-WRT for many years. It's a darned good router firmware. Haven't actively used it since retiring the RT-AC68U / T-Mobile TM-AC1900 routers.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have used it in the past, but gave it up for a Ubiquity edge router, then gave that up for PF Sense.
It's been a while

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have DD-WRT running on an old Linksys WRT54G router. Since it was impossible to physically run a cable to my NVR, I set it up as a wireless bridge from my NVR to my modem/router.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have DD-WRT running on an old Linksys WRT54G router. Since it was impossible to physically run a cable to my NVR, I set it up as a wireless bridge from my NVR to my modem/router.
I did something very similar. I've got an old Linksys router running DD-WRT as a wireless bridge to connect my FLAC music server to my router. Although I'm still learning a lot about networking, I am a big fan of DD-WRT.

BruceWayne007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I could use help in setting up my Asus DD-WRT router. I have read and searched and nothing seems to makes sense. Like, Enable OpenVPN Daemon or OpenVPN Client. Which one and after that what settings?

Thanks!

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I could use help in setting up my Asus DD-WRT router. I have read and searched and nothing seems to makes sense. Like, Enable OpenVPN Daemon or OpenVPN Client. Which one and after that what settings?

Thanks!
To setup Wireguard on my DDWRT router, I followed the steps laid out in a YouTube video by DevbaseMedia. He walks through all the steps you need to do. It is pretty simple. I haven't tried OpenVPN but he has a video on that too.

BruceWayne007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have an iPhone or Android? I found an app for my iPhone but once again the setup is beyond what I understand.

That video and the steps I see do NOT match which is what I have found over the last 8 months of searching and trying to configure it. :banghead:

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi BruceWayne007, I followed the video and got everything working. So I don't know what to tell you.

You've probably already seen this, but just in case... There's WireGuard documentation on the DDWRT forum: DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - WireGuard guides and documentation

If you're still having trouble, I would try posting your question on the DDWRT forum. They are generally very helpful.

Also, have you flashed your router with a recent version of DDWRT? I think DevbaseMedia was using a build from around Jan. 1, 2021. I downloaded my firmware here: ftp:/ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/

I haven't tried setting up a WireGuard client on my iPhone. I don't know what to tell there.

Good luck.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Ran it, Tomato, and Merlin for years on various routers. I've since moved on to pfSense. It's a magnitude better than any of those options. I highly suggest you look into it. I run it on a HP thin client.