Deepstack Times to high?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Crazy how wildly varied performance is with different CUDA and cudaNN versions alone and how little information I can find on why.
I'm starting to suspect I just got lucky on my first try.
That'd be a first!

kferrero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm starting to suspect I just got lucky on my first try.
That'd be a first!
You may very well have hah!

cudNN 8.2.2 Download

CUDA 10.2p2 Download

nVidia Quadro RTX Latest Driver (T400 series is considered in the RTX family, P400 is not)

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You may very well have hah!
Can I assume you installed the following Cuda 10.2 file before applying the 10.2 patch2?
cuda_10.2.89_441.22_win10.exe

I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts... why tempt fate by fixing something that already works :p

kferrero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can I assume you installed the following Cuda 10.2 file before applying the 10.2 patch2?
cuda_10.2.89_441.22_win10.exe

I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts... why tempt fate by fixing something that already works :p
The patch 2 installer is a roll up, you don't have to install the base file and then patch 1 and then patch 2. You can just directly install the patch 2 file and it includes base, patch 1, and patch 2.

I tend to agree with you though, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it would be worth it to use a GeForce GTX 550ti for DeepStack. Have DS running in BI on a new build with a i7-12700k and get mid 100ms returns with Mike's custom general model, but 1k to 10k at night with custom dark model. At night, even with though times, comes back with nothing detected. I know it has a lot to do with contrast/brightness and am in the middle of upgrading cameras (starting with Andy's color 4k-x coming tomorrow).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it would be worth it to use a GeForce GTX 550ti for DeepStack. Have DS running in BI on a new build with a i7-12700k and get mid 100ms returns with Mike's custom general model, but 1k to 10k at night with custom dark model. At night, even with though times, comes back with nothing detected. I know it has a lot to do with contrast/brightness and am in the middle of upgrading cameras (starting with Andy's color 4k-x coming tomorrow).
To me, that sounds like a GPU wouldn't help you - the issue is as you said that the image quality is the issue. If it can detect mid 100ms during the day and it it 10x that at night, that is pointing to an issue with the field of view and image quality and perhaps trying to do too much with a field of view.

For example, a B/W image at night with an object at the perimeter of the field of view is going to be much more problematic than a color image with the object in the center of the field of view.

Most of us see comparable times between day and night, so that leads me to believe it is image related.

You could post a sample picture or video and we can confirm that.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To me, that sounds like a GPU wouldn't help you - the issue is as you said that the image quality is the issue. If it can detect mid 100ms during the day and it it 10x that at night, that is pointing to an issue with the field of view and image quality and perhaps trying to do too much with a field of view.

For example, a B/W image at night with an object at the perimeter of the field of view is going to be much more problematic than a color image with the object in the center of the field of view.

Most of us see comparable times between day and night, so that leads me to believe it is image related.

You could post a sample picture or video and we can confirm that.
I posted my night pics in another thread last night, you saw them, I'm the one getting the new 4k-x cam. Yeah, got an old computer from my sister in-law figured it was old. Don't know much about gpu's, was looking though another thread and they were talking about a p400 getting good results, so I figured 550 is better, lol:idk:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah wasn't sure if it were those cameras or somewhere else, so if you are trying to get them out in the further out areas of those images, it will struggle. The new 4K/X should improve on that tremendously.

But mid 100ms during the day and 1,000 to 10,000 at night leads to image issues as typically there is less demand on the computer during the nighttime.

In my setup, the return time is about the same day or night.