Defined Subnet versus VLAN: Is there a difference in my example for Blue IrisI

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
None of my VLANS are connected thru the router , separated by nicards.
Your "current network" diagram says otherwise...... Again, I think this is probably just a misunderstanding on your part regarding how VLANs are managed and which device is actually managing them. If the setup works as expected, that is all that really matters.

PS - I hadn't noticed this before (I simply overlooked it), but there is no benefit to running your "eagle" cameras on their own VLAN. You need to create a single "camera" VLAN that includes every single camera (even the wifi camera), the "YouTube Server" computer, and the BI server. This goes back to my last post that talks about the pitfalls to trying to segment your network too much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A.G. The eagle cam isolation was to isolate the YouTube server so it’s BI did not have access to the rest of the cams. The drawing YT server had an extra port for other cam so as to function as a back up BI. Not as a quick change over. That port would normally be unplugged.

The PR60 is turning into no value to me versus the ASUS in that VPN is not avail ( except station to station ) and the VLAN seems to be designed as the starting point for networking setup and I m not at that stage. The ports can have their own DHCP but can’t work as separate ports from a single DHCP. I could redo my ip address and subnet definitions

thanks for your input.