Dell Optiplex for BI

metrangia

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Dell Optiplex to run BI/CodeProject.AI on. It will have an SSD for Windows and BI, with the video recorded onto a HDD. Because the video is going to the HDD, is there any advantage to getting an Optiplex that uses the NVMe protocol?

Looking at it another way, if SATA is good enough to stream to a HDD, why would I even want to consider NVMe?

Looking at the Optiplex wiki, I see that NVMe was introduced in series 6, models 3090/5090/7090. If I wanted NVMe, I would then have to go for one of those, probably a 7090.

Side notes:
The 7070 is series 5.
The 7080 is series 6, but doesn't have NVMe capabilities.

So that brings me to my second question: Would a 7070 with a 9th gen CPU be sufficient for 10-12 4MP/8MP cameras, with some recording 24x7 and the others recording on motion only (and using CodeProject.AI as well). I know that's not very specific, but I want something that will be future proof as Windows becomes more bloated and BI adds more features.

Or should I spend more for a 7080 (10th gen CPU) or 7090 (11th gen CPU)?

I don't want overkill, just something that will last far into the future. Thanks.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would go with the 11th gen for future proofing.

You want the NVMe for an SSD that will hold, the OS, Blue Iris, and the Blue Iris Database.
Then use a WD Purple surveillance rated hard drive for the video.