Dell Outlet Sale 45% Off - Question Regarding PC Specs for BI

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay. That is what I needed to know. A person could add a 2nd hdd because the mobod does have 4 sata, but there would be no place to put the other hdd. It would have to just sit in an open area. I have not had an SFF either. Do they have room for 1 ssd and 1 hdd? Thanks again.
By the way, where in Minnesota do you live. I'll be going up there in late September. I have family that lives there.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, so the EliteDesk G3 will hold 1SSD and 2 hdd spinners. That is good. I can buy 2 4TB for almost $80 less than 1-8TB. That is one of the reasons why I want 2 spinners. I also like that if one goes bad, not all my saved recording are gone. I'll look into it. Thanks again looney2ns.

Will the tower EliteDesk G3 or G4 work, or are you just referring to the SFF that will hold 1 SSD and 2 HDD? Thanks.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, on ebay the Elitedesk G3 is pretty pricey compared to the Optiplex. I can get an Optiplex for a better deal by far. Maybe I'm missing some of the good deals. I'll keep checking.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, on ebay the Elitedesk G3 is pretty pricey compared to the Optiplex. I can get an Optiplex for a better deal by far. Maybe I'm missing some of the good deals. I'll keep checking.
It takes a little time sometimes, setup a search and save it. then setup notifications from Ebay.
I just saw one for $245.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It takes a little time sometimes, setup a search and save it. then setup notifications from Ebay.
I just saw one for $245.
I'll keep looking. I may get lucky. I may even just spend a little more, and get a year warranty for the G3 on Newegg. And by purchasing from Newegg, my credit card will give me an additional 2 year warranty.
The thing is,, after really looking, the price of adding the 8TB makes it real close when I add the price of 2- 4TB to the mix. If that makes sense.
I think I would rather pay more and have the option of 2 spinners. I think the SFF is something I like a little better than the tower also.
Have you worked with a G3?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I really like the look of the G3, and think I'm willing to pay a little more for it. I just need one more confirmation from you Looney. Will the G3 SFF hold 2 3.5" hdd spinners and 1 ssd? I know that is what you said above, I just want a confirmation before I pull the trigger.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you Flintstone61 and looney2ns for the help. I got a Dell Optiplex 7040 for a 4 camera setup, so I only need one hdd. I got the HP Elitedesk G3 for a 10 camera setup, which will be expanded to more later on. It will need more storage. I appreciate all of the help.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you, or anyone else know anything about the Dell Optiplex 7040 Mini Tower? I know the board has 4 Sata ports, but I was wondering how hard it would be to get mechanical hdd in there. This has exactly what I want. i7-6700, 16GB ram, 512GB ssd. I would like to add the 1 hdd, but if it could, add 2 hdds. If only 1 is possible, I'm okay with that. I just can't seem to find anything that shows for sure.

I have one right next to me. Looks like there's physical space for a second 3.5" drive but the way that the drive mounts in the little blue caddy-type thing means that there isn't. If that makes sense. i.e., Without the caddy you probably could squeeze two in there but without any mounting made to hold them like that. There's also physical space below but again not really made to add another drive.

I can try to take a picture for you if you want but kind of difficult where it is so may not be a great one.