Dense persons guide to VPN on a Netgear Router

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the ip scheme / subnet of your main network, and what is the ip being assigned to your ios device?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
IPs below and almost identical to your setup. Works fine with wifi but not over cellular...
192.168.1.x
OpenVPN iDMSS ip is 192.168.254.2

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I fixed my failed to connect issue with iDMSS app. Was scratching my head for a while this morning as other ios apps like IP Cam worked but iDMSS always fail to connect. The static route entry didn't work for me so removed that from my router. Then I went back in OpenVPN setting on router and tried the switch from "Auto" to the "All sites on the internet and Home Network" setting again. Fortunately, this time it worked like a charm without even needing to reboot the router!

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
Could be considered a dumb question, but once we set this up in our laptop/mobile phone, does this mean ALL data will go through VPN? Can we decide which apps will use VPN and everything else should go through regular network?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could be considered a dumb question, but once we set this up in our laptop/mobile phone, does this mean ALL data will go through VPN? Can we decide which apps will use VPN and everything else should go through regular network?
Yes.

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you I suppose it's Yes to my 1st question, but if we don't want to use our slow upload speeds at home (especially connecting it to from our cellphone remotely) can we select only certain apps to use VPN? For example can we designate TinyCam Pro to go through VPN while everything else can stay the way they are, and network routed through mobile provider?

Thanks again!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you I suppose it's Yes to my 1st question, but if we don't want to use our slow upload speeds at home (especially connecting it to from our cellphone remotely) can we select only certain apps to use VPN? For example can we designate TinyCam Pro to go through VPN while everything else can stay the way they are, and network routed through mobile provider?

Thanks again!
Yes for both questions.
For example for Tinycam pro, you actually enter in the IP address of the cam you want to view as if you were on your local lan.
A VPN opens a virtual "tunnel" to your local network. So anything you want to access on your home local network, you use the same IP address that you would use if you were at home on your Wifi.

Just fire up any other app, and it will work as usual with your cellular data.

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I just set this up, it works perfectly. Hirize's guide was very helpful, but Netgear's VPN implementation is pretty weak, there is no way to set a password for VPN, and it means anyone who can grab the VPN files from your computer can access your home network from anywhere, and you wouldn't really know about it. I am not sure if disabling and enabling VPN on Netgear router would even regenerate the VPN files.