DH-SD49225T-HN update

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have version 2.623.000 I would like to use this as a third cam so I can see my great horned owlets if they fall from the tree. I just hooked up the Dahua to the NVR two hours ago and it has rebooted 5 times. So before I even go to all the trouble to run 75' of cable up in the attic and drilling another hole in the PC room ceiling, I'd like to do a software update first to see if I can fix the reboot issue. How hard is it to do? And where is the latest software? I am terrified to do this.
I have really enjoyed my amcrest cams I am using now to view my owls. . I have a barrel in a tree and this is my 7th year to have the owls use my barrel for their nest. My 24/7 live cams are at www.okiebirdcam.com. And my videos are here (4) okiebirdnerd - YouTube All have audio as well. It won't be long before the owlets I named Bubo ( Latin for owl ) and Uki ( paying homage to Ukraine ) will be branching out on the tree. We have 6" thick foam under the barrel in case they do fall. Please subscribe to my channel if you want to see new videos of the parents Jack & Carol and their owlets. My last video I made, Bubo gets on the barrel edge and the wind is really blowing. It is scary to watch. For me anyways :)
Please let me know about the software update. Is there a YouTube video to guide me through doing this by chance? I'd really like to have video if they fall. Thank you in advance for your time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt that is a firmware issue.

Sounds like your NVR doesn't have enough power for the PTZ. It needs POE+.

A PTZ constantly rebooting is the tell-tale sign it is being underpowered. Try a POE+ injector, 12V wall wart, or POE+ switch and I bet it works.

To date firmware updates have been to resolve vulnerabilities, so you may end up causing more problems by updating.

But if you do decide to update....

It is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1642062778963.png

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I doubt that is a firmware issue.

Sounds like your NVR doesn't have enough power for the PTZ. It needs POE+.

A PTZ constantly rebooting is the tell-tale sign it is being underpowered. Try a POE+ injector, 12V wall wart, or POE+ switch and I bet it works.

To date firmware updates have been to resolve vulnerabilities, so you may end up causing more problems by updating.

But if you do decide to update....

It is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1642062778963.png
Before the Dahua was using a 60w poe and I was using a PC-NVR. It gave me hell for two years. I replaced cables Poe's and switches and it never ran properly. My new NVR is not the problem. I am using a 30w POE and a 7 port switch. My three Amcrest cams have ran for months without ever rebooting.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the power budget of the switch. It may not be able to power all the cameras. A 7 port switch means nothing if the total budget of the switch is underpowered. Many consumer grade switches cannot actually power a camera on every port.

With IR, this camera needs 22 watts of power. I have no idea what model your Amcrest cams are and there power needs, but just because they run fine doesn't mean your power supply is capable of running this PTZ.

Keep in mind the marketing of some switches may make them sound more capable than they are.

Is your power supply POE or POE+? A POE port will only provide up to 15.4w of power. It will not provide more power to the port even if nothing else is on the POE switch. Further, some POE switches so they can offer up to 30watts on one port only.

But each POE switch also has a power budget and rarely will you find a POE switch that is capable of providing a full 15.4w to EVERY port at the same time. It might be a 4 port switch with a POE budget of 45 watts. Do the math and it comes up short. So with nothing else plugged in, the PTZ can limp by on 15.4w, but once other cams are plugged in, each port may only get 12 watts and it sputters out.

Here is an example of popular Netgear POE switch. POWER-OVER-ETHERNET - 8 Gigabit PoE ports (802.3af) providing up to 15.4w per port with 46w total PoE power budget. PoE-capable on all Ports of the Switch .

So lets do the math - it has a total POE budget of 46watts. It has 8 ports. 46/8 = 5.75watts per port if every port used.

Last edited:

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thank you for your answers. I do appreciate your time. But I went through everything before after I bought it and it was decided I have a lemon and not repairable. I was reminded by another member that doing an update will unlikely fix my problem and I need to leave well enough alone. There is Nothing I can replace, that hasn't been replaced at least once already. It is what it is. Just wishful thinking on my part. Thank you for your time. I thought maybe something new might have come up in the past year that might fix my reboot problem. But there hasn't.
Have a blessed weekend. Remember, if you can't be yourself, be an owl <3 www.okiebirdcam.com to see my owlets live 24/7

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Terri Underhill take a look at this thread. Same symptoms you are having

SD5A425XA-HNR new camera, restarts when auto tracking event

I have two SD49225XA-HNR (It has similar power requirement as yours). One is using this 30W POE+ injector. Another one is using this 60W POE+ injector. They don't reboot. Before I used a dedicated POE+ Injector, I used a POE switch. it rebooted every time I tried to PTZ because it doesn't have enough power for the camera.

30W
1650049393377.png

60W
1650049456527.png

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Terri Underhill take a look at this thread. Same symptoms you are having

SD5A425XA-HNR new camera, restarts when auto tracking event

I have two SD49225XA-HNR (It has similar power requirement as yours). One is using this 30W POE+ injector. Another one is using this 60W POE+ injector. They don't reboot. Before I used a dedicated POE+ Injector, I used a POE switch. it rebooted every time I tried to PTZ because it doesn't have enough power for the camera.

30W
View attachment 125292

60W
View attachment 125293
Thank you. I will take a look. I appreciate your input. I did have it on a 60w poe+ injector when I was using the PC Nvr. Right now I have it sitting in my PC room and it has gone off line over a dozen times since yesterday and I haven't touched any controls. It is not a power issue. Have a great weekend.