Dielectric Grease Unmanaged Switch

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an unmanaged switch in the attic that has been working great, but while installing new camera I was wondering if I should put some dielectric grease on each cable going to switch as a preventative measure. How about the 12 volt power connectors? It gets hot and humid in attic.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m surprised the switch is surviving the heat. I’m from Louisiana it gets well above 125 degrees in the attics. I have a switch in a storage building and one in a storage room. Humidity has not been a problem. It won’t hurt to use the grease if you want to.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an unmanaged switch in the attic that has been working great, but while installing new camera I was wondering if I should put some dielectric grease on each cable going to switch as a preventative measure. How about the 12 volt power connectors? It gets hot and humid in attic.
Won't hurt a thing to use the grease. If in doubt use it.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, just went through all the cables cleaned with CRC and then greased them up.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
You guys should all be aware of a product called DeoxIt D5 made by Caig Labs. I've been using it, or its predecessor (Cramolin Red) since the mid 1970s. Absolutely incredible stuff.