Difficult few days...

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. Never used one before. We’re dying in this Reno heat.
I'd return the bon aire and get the big boys. $260 vs $500. But that's just me. Again, I do not use my a/c at all except during high humidity days out in Reno (which only happens after a rain storm). I believe... it would cost $10 a month if ran 24hours a day vs $100 a month if ran a/c 24hours a day.

Reaction score
Your week sounds like ours, AC went out, dog has spine problems, (hind leg weakness) things just keep coming! We are fortunate, the AC, 31 years old, only cost $130 to get it fixed, and the dog appears to be doing better.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Who makes your AC? Wow....

Reaction score
What do you suggest?

BTW, your instructions to move to an open window/door seems to be working. We’ve dropped a half degree in just 10 minutes. Thanks!
Find a friend or someone who uses evap cooler for their house. If you want to see mine in action, I can PM you my # and we can discuss. I prefer evap cooler over A/C but it's personal preference.
Find someone with evap, see if you like it.
The whole house versions are fantastic (cheap to run, tropical evening breeze, adding humidity to the air which is healthy for skin & lungs, etc). The hang in the window ones are nice too but prone to breakage and pain to do maintenance on. Portables good for emergency purposes to get A/C back in operation.

Reaction score
I cracked open the front door about 2” (our cats are indoor only - don’t want them to end up as appetizers for mountain lions or coyotes).

Humidity in our great room has dropped from 54% to 45%. Normally we are around 35% when using A/C.

Reaction score
I cracked open the front door about 2” (our cats are indoor only - don’t want them to end up as appetizers for mountain lions or coyotes).

Humidity in our great room has dropped from 54% to 45%. Normally we are around 35% when using A/C.
if you get into evap coolers...you will learn HUMIDITY is it's weakness. hence, gotta get the humidified air created by the evap cooler out of the house. Also, when it rains outside, the efficiency drops (still works but not as great) because of the outdoor humidity going through an already wet evap cooler bringing even more humidity into house.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Who makes your AC? Wow....
It is a Trane 1200 XL. Service tech said it looked all original. The problem was it tripped the breaker. He determined the compressor crankcase heater had blown and was grounding out. He said it is not really needed where we are, and removed the circuit to it. He measured the freon (I think it is freon) and said it was up to pressure and did not appear the unit had ever been opened up before. We will see how long it runs! :thumb:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The evaporative coolers will work in low humidity areas. Here on the East Coast, where the humidity in the summer is frequently (usually) in the upper 80 to 95% level, they're not as efficient. No dry air for the intake means higher temps on the output with high humidity to go with it.

@Holbs Consider yourself lucky with the encounter with the Rotty. My son just got bit on the arm by a Pit Bull and it will take about a year to find out if the nerves in his arm recover from the compression of the bite. A Rotty bites way harder than a Pit and a Pit is no slouch in that department, say 300psi and up with a Rotty at 400 and up.

Reaction score
Having grown up in the Panhandle of Texas (Lubbock), I do not have very fond memories of the Evaporative cooler we had. Ours was on top of our house. We use to have to hose it down with a water hose, but I was young, so I don't remember all of it. I do remember however, how happy I was once we got central AC! :)