Digital Zoom?

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have my cam set up to do 6 presets and cycle through them throughout the day. Is there a way to add the digital zoom feature to a preset?
I'd like to go to a preset and then Zoom in, go to the next preset and zoom out, and so on.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First of all it's a waste to have a camera digital zoom into something on it's own while recording because you can simply digital zoom while your playing back if you need to. Secondly, do you have a PTZ? You say you have it set up for 6 presets. So, why can't you use optical zoom for one of those presets?

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your observation but in my case it's not a waste. I'm taking pictures and posting them to a website so I would like to zoom into different areas for close up pictures.
My Foscam does not have zoom so using Blue Iris Digital zoom would be a nice effect i I could use it.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It sounded to me that you wanted the camera to tour by itself with presets and wanted it to digitally zoom on it's own during the tour. I was just mentioning that you should be able to digitally zoom while you are playing back and than you can take your pictures and post them to your website. There would be no difference at all if you digitally zoom during live view or playback.

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a website that auto updates without human intervention. That is why I wanted to automate the zoom process.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, well, digital zoom is something that software does, not hardware. So you probably will not be able to have the camera digitally zoom by automation.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
You have a cam that Pans and Tilts, but does not Zoom? It's a PT cam, not PTZ... :)

So yeah, you want to zoom in software. And while the BI UI can zoom (via scroll wheel)
and the Web UI also (maybe the browser doing it there?) you want to automate the cropping/resizing of the pulled image.

Perhaps you could use a command-line tool like ImageMagick
to post-crop your images before posting to your web server?
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php#extract

Last edited by a moderator:

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion but this entire process is automated. The images are snapped and FTP'ed to the website without any human intervention. That is why I was trying to see if I could set the Zoom feature at the same time I go to the Preset position. I.E. Preset one, no zoom, Preset 2 Zoom half way in, Preset 3 Full view.....

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
buy a real ip camera with optical zoom feature. don't buy a lemon brand (with digital zoom) and expect apples.

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Forums like this are for helping people with challenges.
Does criticizing other people make you feel good? I feel sorry for you.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@critterles I mean no disrespect, however @acvb does make a valid point regardless of how you interpret it - as a side note I don't think he was "criticizing" you just making a point. For the end result you are trying to achieve your best bet is to invest in an entry level PTZ. This will allow for a truly seamless - no interaction needed process. You will not need any other programs, plug ins, or hacks to accomplish your task. Not to mention your quality will be higher because you will be utilizing an optical zoom vs a simple "enlargement/blow up/digital zoom" resulting in a loss of quality possibly.

There are many PTZ entry level cameras available, one of which has been discussed in great length and detail recently.https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/58-Huisun

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
zero, no disrespect at all from your post. And I do understand I could purchase a more expensive camera with advanced features and easily solve this challenge. The issue is I have 5 of these cameras that have suited me well. The Zoom feature was a small improvement that I was trying to work out. I asked for a possible solution, thinking maybe someone had solved this issue but in return I got a critique that I didn't buy the right camera and expected more than I bought. Though out my life I have learned most problems can be solved in a multitude of ways. You just have to open your mind and be willing to see the alternatives.
So many times someone will post a question asking for help to solve a challenge and then someone says something like "I don't know why you would even want to do that" or something similar. They just don't see the multiple possibilities. There is no "One" right way, there are multiple paths to the correct destination. Questions should be answered, not criticized.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
which is why i suggested a command-line utility, that could be automated...