Direct video traffic over a specific NIC?

Mikey217

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
This is probably a dumb question. I have two gigabit NICs in my PC and I'm wondering if there is any way, either through BI or Windows, to direct incoming video traffic over only one of the NICs specifically. I ask because this Windows PC is also hosting my Plex server. I would prefer to keep the traffic segregated between the two network cards if possible.
Thanks,
Mike

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just configure the IP settings individually on each NIC card. Choose one subnet for the cameras that is different to the other. Eg, your internet connectivity network (NIC1) could be a 192.168.1.x network, whilst your camera network (NIC2) could be 192.168.100.x. Ensure all the camera gear uses the same 192.168.100.0 network. Traffic on each of the networks would be limited that way. You can use different switches for each NIC interface with a POE switch on the camera network.

If you need remote access to the PC, configure VPN and connect to it via it's IP address on the 192.168.1.0 network.

Mikey217

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for knockin' out the cobwebs in my noggin! That didn't occur to me because I use DHCP reservations for all of the devices on my home network, because it makes things easier to manage for me. I'll have to bite the bullet and go with static addresses for the camera network. Sounds like a plan! Thanks again, Valiant!