Discussion from NWS on 12/10/21 long track tornado in KY

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
They better not blame everything on climate change. :(

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Viewing some of the photo's and the satellite map which displays the path and the distance this tornado covered. Its incredible to learn there wasn't a higher loss of life. In the one photo which looks like an island of houses it always amazes me to see how literally a dozen houses can be wiped out in an instant.

Yet only a mere 150 feet away are two other houses untouched . . . :oops:

Many years ago I went to visit one of my cousins in TX as he just built a brand new house. One of the things he told me was the extra $85K he borrowed above and beyond the loan for the home. Upon arrival he showed me his tornado shelter that was and integrated into the home and property.

In the garage floor was a hatch that incorporated a dual 50 tone hydraulic jacks. Below was a room that incorporated all of the amenities from bunks, kitchen, common room, food, water, clothes, toiletries, communications hardware, and power generating devices. As I went through the room I noticed another small round hatch.

I asked him where that went and he said ~ go look! :facepalm:

I opened up the hatch and the entire cylinder like tubing lit up. I must have walked about 50 feet until I got to the other end. At the end was a clear exit sign and a well lit ladder and on the side was a hand pulley system. I climbed up and was presented with another hatch with the same dual 50 tone hydraulic jacks. I turned the three levers to their open position and the hatch just smoothly glided open.

Once the hatch was completely open I was struck by blinding lights! :cool:

After regaining my eyesight :angry: I jump out and what do I see??? Lawnmower, shovels, gardening supplies etc. This crazy impressive bastard dug a 50 foot tunnel to a shed as a secondary exit! I must have sat there laughing because it was something totally out of a movie from my point of view.

About 14 years later my cousins neighborhood was struck by one of the worst tornadoes in history. Houses all over the area looked like someone came along and vacuumed the entire area leaving only a patch of concrete. While other homes collapsed within itself like a tinder box with everything just piled on everything.

The foresight my cousin had with the secondary escape route saved his entire family. The dual hydraulic jacks weren't going to help them move tens of thousands of pounds of debris and vehicles piled into his garage like a junk yard. Its only the fact there was a secondary route to the shed.

Which by the way was the only thing standing like the houses in that photo . . . :facepalm:

Just 50 feet was the difference of dying in the ground with no hope of ever being found.