DMSS app trying to blackmail me !

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use OpenVPN and DMSS on my Samsung android 'phone to remotely (and hopefully securely) view cameras and get intruder alerts via my Dahua 4216 NVR. This system has worked well since I installed it about 1 1/2 years ago.
A few days ago DMSS opens but won't allow me to proceed past the home page unless I agree to its User Service Agreement and Privacy Policy. It has never done this before.

Looking briefly at its very, very long Privacy Policy I see it wants access to absolutely everything on my 'phone (GPS, data logs, etc, etc, etc). Now I am NEVER going to allow that bullshit of course. I didn't bother looking at the service agreement.
Two questions:
(1) anyone know how I can continue to use my current setup (OpenVPN, DMSS) but delete or get around this unacceptable intrusion into my privacy?
(2) is there another app I can use on my 'phone to replace DMSS and where the provider does not want to spy on me?

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You know OpenVPN probably needs access to those same things.
No, not to my knowledge, though I'm far from an expert. There is nothing in OpenVPN that I can see, unlike DMSS, that allows the Chinese government to demand via OpenVPN access to all my private information on my 'phone.
If you know differently, I'd love to hear the details - and so would plenty of others I imagine.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
its impossible to get push notifications from dmss with openvpn

seems that you misconfigured your network or have a misunderstanding of the function

push notification needa connection to dahuas amazon servers. thats why you need to confirm service agreement.

if you have used alerts in the past, you have already shared your data

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So can you suggest another app I can use on my 'phone to replace DMSS ?

I have discovered the following:
  • I must start OpenVPN and connect DMSS before I can get DMSS to commence receiving alerts (perfectly logical and acceptable),
  • if I then close OpenVPN, alerts still get sent to my phone (not logical or acceptable since I thought OpenVPN was the only and secure connection to my NVR),
  • If I try to close DMSS on my phone I cannot do that unless I reconnect to OpenVPN (seems logical and acceptable).
This is all very sneaky and underhanded in my mind. The NVR can access the outside world by both the internet and via the mobile network when I was under the impression OpenVPN gave me the one and only secure connection to the NVR. Perhaps it is just my ignorance since I'm not a networking or DAHUA technical expert. Anyway, I ain't happy at all.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is all very sneaky and underhanded in my mind.
I know how you feel. But if they would cater to your (or my) control desires, their market would collapse. Most people want it to work without any fuzz and don't give a f*** about their privacy. Au contraire, they use apps like facebook, tik tok etc. to get rid of it.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So can you suggest another app I can use on my 'phone to replace DMSS ?

I have discovered the following:
  • I must start OpenVPN and connect DMSS before I can get DMSS to commence receiving alerts (perfectly logical and acceptable),
  • if I then close OpenVPN, alerts still get sent to my phone (not logical or acceptable since I thought OpenVPN was the only and secure connection to my NVR),
  • If I try to close DMSS on my phone I cannot do that unless I reconnect to OpenVPN (seems logical and acceptable).
This is all very sneaky and underhanded in my mind. The NVR can access the outside world by both the internet and via the mobile network when I was under the impression OpenVPN gave me the one and only secure connection to the NVR. Perhaps it is just my ignorance since I'm not a networking or DAHUA technical expert. Anyway, I ain't happy at all.

this is not a shame its the only way it can works

Push notifications NEEDS cloud access. Dahua is using local amazon servers for push notification

its impossible to have push notifications over VPN

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You could try the Amcrest App. Amcrest View Pro. it works with my Amcrest XVr and Amcrest NVR 4108, which are OEM's of Dahua
It appears to work with my mixed bag of cams.
As I recall, the innerworkings of it, were suspiciously similar to DMSS, configuration pages.

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I solved the immediate problem by uninstalling the current version of DMSS and re installing an earlier version. This is what I wrote in another thread in April when I discovered the cause....

Consider re installing an earlier version of DMSS (I used apkpure.com). I recently found out that Google Store automatically updates DMSS whenever there is a new version of DMSS and people report that some of these updates screw up your system. I immediately located and then disabled the auto update item in my Google Store account. I was not aware that this auto update occurred and hate the fact that Google ticked this option without my knowledge.

Of course there is no guarantee that DMSS is not still sending data from my 'phone to China but I never store anything important on my 'phone anyway. Unfortunately, DMSS could still choose at random images from my cameras and send them to China and I'd never know. Why is the world full of criminals who steal stuff????

Reaction score
Hey there! I totally get why you're annoyed with DMSS invading your privacy. It's important to protect your personal info. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DMSS app? Sometimes that can reset any changes made to the settings. You could also reach out to the app's support team for help. If you're looking for alternatives, check out apps like Alfred, IP Webcam, or iSpyConnect. They might offer a more privacy-focused experience. By the way, I'm new here too, but I'm here to help. If you're worried about sextortion, this resource on digitalinvestigation.com might have some tips to prevent it. Hope this helps!

Last edited: