Do covert cameras have a place in Home security?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would like some opinions from professional installers on the Covert style IP camera like the ones listed here http://www.acti.com/products/covert-cameras. Do they have a place in Home surveillance as security cameras or are they better left for commercial use?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like some opinions from professional installers on the Covert style IP camera like the ones listed here http://www.acti.com/products/covert-cameras. Do they have a place in Home surveillance as security cameras or are they better left for commercial use?
If you have a strata committee that wont let you install visible cameras, or the trouble and strife doesn't want the camera's to be visible, or you want to install a camera in a location where people could mess with it if they were aware it was there, then yes. Otherwise visible cameras provide improved resolutions, better lens options, and a visible deterrent.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IMO covert is only if you want to catch someone doing something and you don't want them to know you are watching. Deterrence is the primary element in home security. If someone is stupid enough to not see the cameras, then your best chance of catching them in the act is in having high resolution and enough IR light which coverts don't provide.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
IMO, yes they do. Everyone points out the most valid point and that is the deterrence factor - that is huge. However deterrence is normally an external/outside factor. If someone ignores that and enters a structure internally/inside then what? These type of cameras provide someone an option to place cameras in areas where you want to monitor things possibly without the sight of a standard camera. For example, use of these cameras in a personal residence in a living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway etc are great. They can be concealed very easily and provide you the insight/coverage you desire. However, they will not make visitors (family, friends) feel un easy while visiting or in the home. Regardless if recording or only for monitoring the sight of a camera makes some people uneasy and you don't want to do that to your family or friends while inside there "home", just the bad guys should have that uneasy feeling, which the exterior cameras should do. Some people don't care about the sight of a camera in there home, and for those, the mini domes or moreso the recessed mini domes are great, for others covert cameras offer a great alternative solution to see what they want without seeing the hardware. Sure there are trade offs like IR avalibility or coverage and quality for the price compared to the alternatives, but only the end user can weigh those options.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not understand why people would want to place cameras inside their home, particularly when those cameras have access to the internet.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do not understand why people would want to place cameras inside their home, particularly when those cameras have access to the internet.
They don't need to have access to it. I've idly thought about setting up a hidden camera in my main living space that just loops onto an SD card. As mentioned in the post above yours its purpose would be to catch behavior of somebody who breaks in and I want to have nice video of them inside. But, my area is safe enough I've not bothered.