Do some Dahua cameras actually switch properly between night and day?

pyspilf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After reading a few threads on recommended settings for day/night on Dahua cameras, I configured a couple of IPC-HFW2431S-S-S2 as follows:

Day - 0~4ms gain 0-30
Night - 0~8.3ms gain 0-50

I've been observing the stream in BI during the day and night, as well as recorded video, and it would seem to me it is switching correctly... If I log into the camera during dayllight, under conditions the profile shown is "day" and when dark, it shows night...

And the settings for exposure are as configured per each profile...

I was going to either use the Dahua profile switch tool or use the PTZ/events in BI but it doesn't seem to be needed...

Am I one more who hasn't understood how this switching occurs? Or does it actually work properly on some, like mine? I am on f/w V2.820.0000000.49.R, Build Date: 2022-08-15 in case it's relevant...

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen it to be hit or miss based on camera.

Some of mine it works fine, others it works for a day or two and then assumes either day or night profile and simply switches from color or B/W based on available light.

Since I was already running the utility because my camera for LPR, it was easy to just add my other cameras to it.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
After reading a few threads on recommended settings for day/night on Dahua cameras, I configured a couple of IPC-HFW2431S-S-S2 as follows:

Day - 0~4ms gain 0-30
Night - 0~8.3ms gain 0-50

I've been observing the stream in BI during the day and night, as well as recorded video, and it would seem to me it is switching correctly... If I log into the camera during dayllight, under conditions the profile shown is "day" and when dark, it shows night...

And the settings for exposure are as configured per each profile...

I was going to either use the Dahua profile switch tool or use the PTZ/events in BI but it doesn't seem to be needed...

Am I one more who hasn't understood how this switching occurs? Or does it actually work properly on some, like mine? I am on f/w V2.820.0000000.49.R, Build Date: 2022-08-15 in case it's relevant...

Thanks
I have several of these exact cameras. Decent cams for the price.

I found the day/night switching to be scene-selective. That's to say that in some scenarios, the cam will flip between day and night several times before deciding which profile it wants to use.

It's most prevalent in scenes with more shadows or dark area and a cloud passes over. Seems to change the luz enough to force the camera into the other mode before switching back.

pyspilf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, right now in Spain they can be bought for around 85€... as overview cameras I find they are ok