Does anyone using parking mode in high temp area?

thlong

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking for a dashcam with parking mode. The temp inside car can get to 150F during noon (around 95F outside). I bought a Thinkware ARC recently, hardwire for parking mode. It's working great during cool temp (like below 80F outside, 135f inside) but keeps shutting down completely around noon when the temp is to hot (above 138F inside car). There is no shade to park at work.

Does anyone has any experience on choosing one?

TIA

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a dashcam with parking mode. The temp inside car can get to 150F during noon (around 95F outside). I bought a Thinkware ARC recently, hardwire for parking mode. It's working great during cool temp (like below 80F outside, 135f inside) but keeps shutting down completely around noon when the temp is to hot (above 138F inside car). There is no shade to park at work.

Does anyone has any experience on choosing one?

TIA
Those temps are going to be a challenge. If I'm reading the specs correctly, it doesn't have a battery built in (does have a super cap).

Are you using an external battery or trying to power it directly off the vehicle battery? Assuming your using an external battery, I'd start by trying to keep that battery cooler perhaps literally placing it in a cooler. Have you experimented at all with reflective windshield covers? maybe cut a hole for the camera.

thlong

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those temps are going to be a challenge. If I'm reading the specs correctly, it doesn't have a battery built in (does have a super cap).

Are you using an external battery or trying to power it directly off the vehicle battery? Assuming your using an external battery, I'd start by trying to keep that battery cooler perhaps literally placing it in a cooler. Have you experimented at all with reflective windshield covers? maybe cut a hole for the camera.
I'm using external battery, It's a lifepo4 battery.
I haven't thought about the battery performance. It could be overheat protection from the battery that cut off power to the dashcam.
For reflective windshield, Is cover only the windshield effective?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using external battery, It's a lifepo4 battery.
I haven't thought about the battery performance. It could be overheat protection from the battery that cut off power to the dashcam.
For reflective windshield, Is cover only the windshield effective?
I'd put the battery in a small cooler or insulated lunch box and run a cable in to charge and out to power the camera.

Your typical reflective windshield sun shade that people put up when parked do reduce the temperature in the vehicle as a whole substantially. The trick is what do they do to the temp between the shade and the glass, is it about the same or is it higher.
You could put up something like this and cut a hole in it for the camera so most of the electronics are on the cool side of the shade. This has potential to affect what the front and rear cameras can see. Depending on how your vehicle is orientated relative to the sun, shading or tinting other windows may do more good.

Some window tints that can be applied directly to the glass may help keep the vehicle cooler (probably most, I say some because some are going to be more effective)