Does effective auto-tracking exist?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as effective auto-tracking? Or is auto-tracking just a gimmick? Please tell me everything you know about auto-tracking. Thanks.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
No. Basically. Anything else you'd like to know? :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its a gimmick, the whole thing falls apart when you:

• Have more than one moving object, how does it pick from a human vs a tree branch
  • Have something far more important going on out of frame

Use other cameras and physical sensors to command your PTZ to go to predefined presets, its way more effective and you can control the logic how you need it too.. ie, I dont look at the back door every time it opens, because it has a camera already watching.. but if it opens when the security system is armed it looks at the back door with better IR, more Zoom and the opposing angle.. its 100 degrees away from its normal parking spot, waaay out of the normal FOV.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends on what you're tracking / how you're tracking. I'm pretty confident there is some pretty effective auto tracking used by the military...
In standalone cctv, it's not so great.

I'd would be kind of fun of there was a cam with open source software that we could bend to out will, but that's not happening.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would venture to guess most military auto tracking uses thermal cameras paired with visible cameras, so they only track targets such as vehicles and people.. Ive seen pretty effective ones but they always require additional inputs and dont work all by them selves.

the cctv company I was employed by had a nice mobile trailer rig with a tall telescoping mast, at the top were 4 PTZ's and a wide array of cameras looking in all directions.. it used the array of cameras to track people as they walk by, from one camera to the next.. then it used the PTZ to do facial recognition shots of everyone it could as fast as it could.. it was designed to be put into the middle of a big festival, concert, convention outside and run faces through scanning software to look for people whom are known threats.. or put in a high security area to look for people whom are not supposed to be there.. it could scan through a crowd of people moving about at an impressive rate, they rented it out to clients because it had a pretty Hefty price tag.. they would build and sell you one too if you had enough cash, dont think they had many takers.