Does IR Light from cameras or illuminators Interfere with PIR detectors or IR Beam detectors?

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

It is common to use motion detectors to activate cameras.
I read that ir light from illuminators slows down PIR detectors response.

I'm considering expanding my intruder alarm system with outdoor dual technology detectors (passive IR) and beam detectors (active IR) in places where I have cameras with night IR light.
Any feedback from similar situations?

Thanks a lot.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm due to receive some IR beam sensors in a few weeks so I can let you know then :).
PIR sensors detect heat emitted from a person, in the form of infrared. As far as I know, my cameras are not interfering noticeably with my PIR motion sensors.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Mlda
I have received an IR beam sensor today from AliExpress.
This unit has a separate transmitter and receiver.

The short answer is yes. A camera can see the IR for these cheap beam detectors. I have also ordered an Optex unit which should arrive in a few days.

For context, this is a thermal and visible camera. The thermal imaging does not see the IR light of this beam sensor at all.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes,
But camera typically see 850nm IR light.

My Optex IR beam detectors have arrived today and I'll test them this evening.
Optex is a bigger brand in the sensor detection industry and I'm hoping these will use 950nm wavelength IR (a dim glow to cameras).

PIR detectors only sense IR in the form of heat. They're like a 1*2 pixel thermal camera and detect on rapid temperature changes across those two sensing elements.
The camera I used in the video also has a thermal camera built-in. The thermal camera cannot detect that IR beam sensor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe all cameras can see IR light.

There are cameras out there that cannot see infrared (well take advantage of the infrared light). Any camera called Full Color, ColorVu, etc. do not have an IR filter and as such infrared light cannot be used with them.

Now these types of cameras will pick up the red glow at the source, but not the light emitted.