Does it make sense to disable the admin account?

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I assume that the majority of access attempts are aimed at the admin account. Provided there is another user with admin privileges, can the admin account be safely disabled? Does it even make sense?

TIA

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
That was an old Windows Server trick. Make a hidden "default" user with admin rights. Then delete the Admin
account but make it viewable in the log-in screen. One could guess till the cows came home.
It is not possible now.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried and failed to get Stunnel to work. :(

All of my cams are on their own subnet which is not routed to the Internet. Blue Iris itself is so I can access it from anywhere and Blue Iris is constantly being dinged by parties unknown from all over the world. Recently somebody got in for 43 seconds. This set off alarms in my head. The password is sufficiently complex that I'm certain they didn't get in via a password hack.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried and failed to get Stunnel to work. :(

All of my cams are on their own subnet which is not routed to the Internet. Blue Iris itself is so I can access it from anywhere and Blue Iris is constantly being dinged by parties unknown from all over the world. Recently somebody got in for 43 seconds. This set off alarms in my head. The password is sufficiently complex that I'm certain they didn't get in via a password hack.
Study the two links I provided above.