dome install pics

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
these wiremold boxes seem to work ok for dome cameras. I couldnt find anything else at the local homedepot. anyway no more 1" holes into brick

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@dudemaar Looks nice! Did you use the metal or plastic wiremold boxes? How did you seal them to keep everything dry?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
@dudemaar Looks nice! Did you use the metal or plastic wiremold boxes? How did you seal them to keep everything dry?
I used the metal boxes. to mount the base to the brick I used the blue tapcons. Also used given camera template sticker on the cover and drilled 3 small pilot holes and used small #6 (soffit) metal screws to fasten camera to box cover. I only sealed the 3/8” hole I had drilled into mortar with some exterior caulking. I suppose you could go all the way around the box at both seams. (Don’t forget to lick your finger first). I figured the back of camera itself is sealed and so is the rj45 connection.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like the flush/neat look mounting domes on a wall but sometimes I think it's difficult to get the best orientation or view.

At what point do you installers prefer to use a right angle bracket to mount domes horizontally ?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I like to use the wall mount brackets if we are mounting a dome in sunlight, even if it's for a couple of hours per day. This keeps the sun off of most of the globe on the outside and helps it last a little bit longer. Flush mounted domes will get blasted by the sun and you will see effects, from the sun, through the camera pretty quick. If you are mounting domes inside, you don't have much to worry about. We have been using the wall mounts for the turrets also. It gives the installation a clean look in a commercial application.

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apologies for bumping an old thread but the install is relevant to my installation that I’m planning. I have a brick veneer home and would like to install a Dahua wedge at my front door. I thought conduit would be my only option but it appears you’ve got another solution. How are you running the Ethernet through the brick? Are you pulling it through the brick to wall cavity?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
At Front door I hammer drilled into a brick grout line, then a wood bit into plywood/drywall (behind the brick) and straight into garage. The back of house was a walkout, unfinished basement so I hammer drilled through grout line, then wood drilled through 2x10 rim board joist and into basement between the floor joists. I used a 12” long x 1/4” or 3/8” hammer drill bit and the same sizes in a wood drill bit. ( beware of electrical wires and water lines when drilling anywhere!)