Door checker

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use SmartPSS, makes it simple to choose .dav, .avi, .mp4

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I do. Heck I even do editing along with giving them the whole file. I want to make it as easy as possible for them. As a matter of fact I have a package of USB "memory sticks" on my computer shelf just for them or my neighbors if they need some video.
Ah, yes.........I can see it now. :lmao:

parleys2.jpg

Fourier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hahaha ^^^^

I’ll look when I get home to see what program I use on the Mac, it’s some converter that’s free for videos <5min.

I wasn’t aware smart PSS did mp4. I will check it out as I just downloaded v2.0 for mac last night. I had the Lorex equivalent but only would export .avi but no player seemed to would work, including VLC.

I ended up putting the mp4 on google drive and sending a link to the officer. I figured they had all kinds of security procedures so downloading files off my gdrive wouldn’t fly, but he didn’t complain. He did offer to bring a CD-R over to burn the video to disc

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just upload to Youtube, mark it private, and share the link with the popo.
A lot of them around here, will view it on their phone while on patrol, as they rarely have time to stop in at the office to mess with a computer and conversion.

The dahua nvr I have reviewed, when exporting from it, it automagically places a viewing program on the thumb drive along with the video.

Easiest to do the Youtube route, if you have the upload speed.

PeskyPete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uploading to youtube and sharing the link - that's a great idea. Some of my blockwatch group haven't a clue when it comes to viewing clips I send them, so this is the way forward for me.

Fourier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns thanks for the info. Just to clarify, do you upload the dav file or convert it first before uploading. I just made my first upload (since ten years ago) to YouTube and did the same with marking it private, unless someone has the link.

Edit: so far I’ve been saving the clips on the idmss app using the mainstream. Airdropping to the computer to convert to mp4. I assume full resolution is preserved. It personally seems easier then logging into the nvr to export the clips because I can do while I’m at work waiting for models to solve.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns thanks for the info. Just to clarify, do you upload the dav file or convert it first before uploading. I just made my first upload (since ten years ago) to YouTube and did the same with marking it private, unless someone has the link.

Edit: so far I’ve been saving the clips on the idmss app using the mainstream. Airdropping to the computer to convert to mp4. I assume full resolution is preserved. It personally seems easier then logging into the nvr to export the clips because I can do while I’m at work waiting for models to solve.
I convert to mp4 first. Youtube will reject a .dav file.
Youtube says this is the preferred format for quailty.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought, at first, it might be a girl in a skirt. Those are some interesting shorts. Back in the day, the girls called those "culottes".

Definitely very high, and as pointed out above, didn't even flinch when the motion-lights came on! Wow. Not exactly a master criminal at work here. :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
convert to mp4 first. Youtube will reject a .dav file.
My dahua NVR supports two formats when downloading video: ASF and DAV.
YouTube accepts ASF uploads. No extra step to "convert" files.
Bonus: You (or others) can download the YouTube video, in mp4....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uploading to youtube and sharing the link - that's a great idea. Some of my blockwatch group haven't a clue when it comes to viewing clips I send them, so this is the way forward for me.
Tell me about it.

It's not a great sin to not be a computer or networking guru but the concept of "copy & paste" (CNTRL-C & CNTRL-V) has been around almost 35 years, in some form or variant even before WYSIWYG and Windows but way too many of my clients have never heard of it.

I show 'em, their jaw drops and I think to myself........Lord, please help us. :facepalm:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
concept of "copy & paste" (CNTRL-C & CNTRL-V) has been around almost 35 years
35 yrs, lol.
And before that, real scissors and real paste were used.
My other favorites:
CNTRL-Z to "undo"
And CNTRL-SHIFT-C to copy formatting in MS Word. Used with
CNTRL-SHIFT-V, to paste the formatting in MS Word.
It sure beats re-formatting text manually! Instead of using the buttons for Bold (CTRL-B), Underline (Ctrl-U), or Italics (Ctrl-I), or using the buttons to change font type and font size.

For this "Generational Commentary" to be fair, let's admit younger and/or tech savvy folks today would struggle with;
- using a modem to access the internet. 9,600 baud, later 14k baud.
- a rotary dial phone
- a record player, instead of digital music.
- a home phone that was on a "Party Line", to save money. (which had zero to do with 'partying')
- talking long distance required yelling into the phone. So logical, because the call was 'Long Distance'
- What's a 'Telegram'? My kids: "Why didn't they just text?"
- A TV without a remote control.
- a clothes 'wringer', next to the washing machine. Or next to the 'washing board'
- Wouldn't know an "Ice Box" if they saw one. Or understand that ice was delivered daily. (during my mom's childhood)
- Family sitting around the radio, listening to the "Whistler" weekly show, and getting scared by the stories. (another mom story)

Fastb
trying to stay abreast

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or a vehicle with a key switch and a pushbutton to start...or better yet, a floor starter!
Or a floor-mounted headlight dimmer switch!

And on and on...ad infinitum! :rolleyes:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if my old buddy hickok45 has many door checkers ? :lol:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone have a current link for smartpss for Mac ? Thanks

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney thanks for reposting, I had tried that but was getting a failed to open page error, different machine and seems to work now. Thanks again