Doorbell intercom - Fibaro or Akuvox R20A

magnethead

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just joined to ask an important question......Why is there no mention of Akuvox products in this forum?
and if you had the choice, which doorbell intercom would you use, the Polish Fibaro one or the Chinese Akuvox? (Looks to have similar features for half the price)... the Video is not Full HD like the Fibaro, but it has interesting features.

Akuvox R20A

magnethead

n3wb
Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping someone who has really researched this to death would send me in the right direction. Should I steer clear of Akuvox? I'm basically looking for something that runs on POE and is ONVIF compliant (I drilled the hole and put Cat6 out beside my front door)....but I'll take the best looking POE dorrbell intercom you would recommend.

raintonr

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been looking for a video intercom/doorbell and considering a few Akuvox models. They do look a decent option so would be interested to hear other's experience with this brand.

Anyone?

TIA

curmudgeon

n3wb
Reaction score
They seem like they hit all the right specs and decent form factors. But head over to their forums and observe the issues that users are reporting. Things like not being able to get firmware updates, the internal web server just dying with no way to restart except a power cycle, etc. It sounded to me that their software practices were on the immature side.

I decided it wasn't worth the risk, and would stick with the usual contenders until they have their software a little tighter. Not badmouthing them, just sharing my experience. I, too, would love to hear any success stories.

magnethead

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights Curmudgeon
Thanks very much HOLBS, I had actually turned towards the Hikvision after seeing a monster thread on here in the doorbell forum "
Hikvision DS-KD8003-IME - New video doorbell"
I'll take a good look at that one you suggested, do you have experience with it? Would you choose it over the Hikvision Doorbell intercom?

Thanks

Reaction score
I have only used the VTO for a week. Not much in testing (57 house projects going at once). No one has rung the doorbell while I've been at work. But when I have tested it, so for flawless and without notification delay. Somewhat lag on cellular internet for the vid but that's ok.
The big reason for me getting the VTO is that it can interface rather easily with home automation. And it is hardwired POE (not wireless).

raintonr

n3wb
Reaction score
... Things like not being able to get firmware updates... I decided it wasn't worth the risk, and would stick with the usual contenders...
By 'usual contenders' I assume you mean Hikvision, Dahua, etc? Maybe you are right to do this, but I have recently seen someone ranting about Dahua firmware updates breaking stuff so doubt anyone is immune from problems now and again.

...I had actually turned towards the Hikvision after seeing a monster thread on here in the doorbell forum "Hikvision DS-KD8003-IME - New video doorbell"
That model does look nice and priced well but looks like it's pretty difficult to interface with other systems and has reliance on an indoor station or IVMS for some of it's functions, so...

I have only used the VTO for a week... The big reason for me getting the VTO is that it can interface rather easily with home automation. And it is hardwired POE (not wireless).
... yes, think I'm coming around to the view that Dahua VTO would be the way to go for similar reasons.

Thanks for all the input,

Robin