DoorBird for entrance gate project

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
edit...

I've currently given a customer/friend the web address for the DoorBird. She wants something at her entrance gate at the end of her driveway. It's just what she needs. The hardest part will be getting the measurements so I won't need a lot of fabricating to install it in place of he existing keypad with the DTMF button layout she currently has. I believe the door bird is gonna be a bit larger than what she has. I'd attach a picture with measurements, but haven't got the OK to move forward with this little project just yet. She liked the printout-picture(of the doorbirds different faceplates) I gave her Friday, and she owes me a check I'll pick up Monday. -I made a thread on 1/3rd of a the project in the network forum, as we used two ubiquity nano M5's for connectivity to her gate control box for a poe switch and 2 cameras. Will use that link and a poe port for the doorbird.
Anyone here ordered a doorbird with specifications to fit an existing gate control box? Looks like you can ask for certain dimensions to help fit your needs. - I let y'all know how it goes.
D1101KH

PS - this is a great forum. I ordered a computer to set up BI on many months ago and several cameras still in their boxes but haven't had time for my own project. Happy Holidays and ....ROLL TIDE- it's Iron Bowl Week!

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
installed DoorBird before. Nice product, but expensive (German quality). Which model you order, no link is included?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which model you order, no link is included?
The D1101KH looks promising.

It only needs to have a two way talk, the dtmf pad and camera. She's gonna look over the options and get our input before we order. Money will not be an issue if she gets what she wants.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Installed model D2101V, easy to integrate with existing intercom system (multi relay) and nvr camera system (onvif). Probably it was improved, but my only complaint was low audio output at the unit

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Installed model D2101V, easy to integrate with existing intercom system (multi relay) and nvr camera system (onvif). Probably it was improved, but my only complaint was low audio output at the unit
Did you mount it on a wall? I nave a metal post at the gate entrance that currently has a recessed keypad about as large as an old style phone's DTMF dial pad. She is gonna need the dial pad for codes to different friends and relatives, with the option of a call button so she can look at who wants entry. Right now you either have the 4 digit code or need to call her to gain entry. She has a key fob or a phone app to her alm panel that can activate the gate.

The D101S could be attached to the side of her existing keypad control, but she doesn't like the look it would have.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It was wall mounted to replace a visitor entrance door station, part of an old intercom. This particular Doorbird model includes a metal backbox for flush mounting. The box is a non-standard dimension, requiring cement cutting around the old 2-gang mounting cutout. The intercom installed was an analog Legrang on-q whole-house system, but customer request push notifications at the gate. The Doorbird I/O interface allows for easy integration

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the doorbird, but have been reading some poor reviews. (some good reviews also)

Has anyone had any experience with the phone app, and how quick it can notify you if someone pushes the button to communicate with the homeowner via iPhone app?

This unit will be connected to a switch, not Wi-Fi

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another option i thought may work would be to install a camera on top of the existing keypad that has two way audio. The pentabrid dvr has two rca jacks and if i set up the camera with a tripwire or linited area motion maybe i could use an ip camera?

I wish i had an extensive course on cameras, xvr's and the apps that go with them. It may not be worth the trouble or it might be easily incorporated so the customer can see and talk to someone at her gate without looking like I jury-rigged something that looks terrible. Too far for normal wiring, that's why i put the 5g bridge at the gate for a switch to hook he 2, now maybe 3 cameras to, that connect back via the 8 ip ports available on her pentabrid dvr.
She seems to want me to make the choice, which would probably be the doorbird hooked into the poe switch at the gate. the switch is in the big black control box for the gate. There is a conduit to it from the keypad.

Anyone been down this road with good results?

PS it's too far form her home to work on the 2.4 g wireless. Ad she has to have a cell booster for he phone. mine will barely gat a sig at the top of her drive.

Attachments

Last edited: