Driveway gate + key pad + remotes + voice/image communication

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for input on how to integrate operation and control of a driveway gate with IP cams. Or at the very least, concurrently use independent systems.

I note that among members of this forum there is more hands-on understanding and knowledge of devices, connectivity, and remote access, as well as a willingness to share those, than any other forum I am aware of.

Residential gates, gate-openers (like garage door openers), and remotes/keypads are a well-established residential industry. One could add an intercom system so somebody at a gate could speak with a person at the “house”, and apparently this can also be done over a cellular connection.

I am not coming up with much when it comes to integrating IPcams(s). The solution could be that IPcams don’t have to be integrated, they can just exist concurrently and operate at the gate like any other IP cam.

The next functionality that comes to mind is somebody arrives at the closed gate, no one is home. One would want to have a remote alert, and of course this could be achieved with IPcam + Blue Iris + Zero Tier + Pushover, unless there is a better way. But now let’s say one wants to interact with the visitor, and then be able to remotely open the gate to let them in.

Four years ago, well before I got into IP cams and Blue Iris, I had a conversation with a gate installer. There was some follow up email exchange, but eventually he went dark. It’s usually more convenient to blame somebody else, but I think in this instance I drove him away. I was looking for functionality that was beyond his ability. He knew how to install gates and basic controls, and has a good reputation. But the stuff I was getting into was unknown territory for him. I knew that IPcams existed and that was the way to go, and I wanted my gate to integrate with IP cams and so forth.

In early 2023 I got into IPcams, found my way to IPcamtalk. Over the next several months, I got a modest collection of cameras operational with Blue Iris, with much help from members here.

With cameras operational, once again I’m thinking about a gate though this time around I figure I can handle the cam part independently.

It is likely that others before me have been interested in driveway gate + key pad + remotes + voice/image communication with house as well as over web, and offsite operation of gate.
Hence this post requesting input.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking for input on how to integrate operation and control of a driveway gate with IP cams. Or at the very least, concurrently use independent systems.

I note that among members of this forum there is more hands-on understanding and knowledge of devices, connectivity, and remote access, as well as a willingness to share those, than any other forum I am aware of.

Residential gates, gate-openers (like garage door openers), and remotes/keypads are a well-established residential industry. One could add an intercom system so somebody at a gate could speak with a person at the “house”, and apparently this can also be done over a cellular connection.

I am not coming up with much when it comes to integrating IPcams(s). The solution could be that IPcams don’t have to be integrated, they can just exist concurrently and operate at the gate like any other IP cam.

The next functionality that comes to mind is somebody arrives at the closed gate, no one is home. One would want to have a remote alert, and of course this could be achieved with IPcam + Blue Iris + Zero Tier + Pushover, unless there is a better way. But now let’s say one wants to interact with the visitor, and then be able to remotely open the gate to let them in.

Four years ago, well before I got into IP cams and Blue Iris, I had a conversation with a gate installer. There was some follow up email exchange, but eventually he went dark. It’s usually more convenient to blame somebody else, but I think in this instance I drove him away. I was looking for functionality that was beyond his ability. He knew how to install gates and basic controls, and has a good reputation. But the stuff I was getting into was unknown territory for him. I knew that IPcams existed and that was the way to go, and I wanted my gate to integrate with IP cams and so forth.

In early 2023 I got into IPcams, found my way to IPcamtalk. Over the next several months, I got a modest collection of cameras operational with Blue Iris, with much help from members here.

With cameras operational, once again I’m thinking about a gate though this time around I figure I can handle the cam part independently.

It is likely that others before me have been interested in driveway gate + key pad + remotes + voice/image communication with house as well as over web, and offsite operation of gate.
Hence this post requesting input.
You would be looking for a barrier / gate camera such as this:

The newer versions of the ALPR cameras can be programmed for gate vs LPR. Everything is incorporate into the camera as it relates to white list / black list, vehicle type, colour, model, license plate, etc

Built in relays to open / close a gate or barrier. I/O for microphone and speaker and other low voltage dry contacts for ground sensors, radar, etc.