Dropouts at the recording

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have not been completely satisfied with the image for some time now, or rather since I got my camera system.
I keep having interruptions in the recordings and just can't figure out what it could be.
Maybe someone with more experience can help me?

I have a total of two cameras and the problem exists with both. When recording people it is of course even more disturbing.

Below is a short example video. You can see that the dog in the picture has dropouts in the image, how can I fix this problem?

I have already tried a number of things that I could find here in the forum, but somehow the right solution was not there.
The PC with Blueiris has already been replaced by a more powerful model, so that can't be the problem.

What other information is needed about my system ?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is another example video from my second camera that has the same problem. I assume that it is no longer the fault of the cameras if they both have the same problem.
My system has enough resources the primary storage is a SSD (DB and Folder "New" are located here) and I have also manipulated the I-frame values but I just can't figure out where these dropouts are coming from.

BlueIris Folder on primary SSD an secondary HDD are in the exclusions of Windows Defender.

I would appreciate any help as the system does not work reliably for me.

Last edited:

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what model camera? @wittaj
is that possible Iframe to FPS ratio problem? and or shutter speed?
Hi Flintstone61,
Thanks for your reply.

The first video is from a Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS (V5.5.82 build 190909) and the second is from a Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-I (V5.6.5 build 200316)

I have already played around with the I-frame values without any change, maybe indeed something with the shutter speed, but I thought that the current values would be ok so far ?

I have attached pictures of the settings in each case

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like your cameras are going thru a router?

Looks like you have Hardware Acceleration turned on - turn that off. It has been problematic for many people recently and it isn't needed with substreams now.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
see what happens if you run the exposure time at about 1/250- 1/500 and adjust the brightness or exposure a little bit to offset the darker result of a faster shutter/

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like your cameras are going thru a router?

Looks like you have Hardware Acceleration turned on - turn that off. It has been problematic for many people recently and it isn't needed with substreams now.
Not to a router, the cameras are connected to a simple non manageable POE Switch (Netgear GS116LP) same sub-net ass the blue iris PC.

I have now turned off the hardware acceleration and will do some testing before moving on to Flintstone61's suggestion regarding exposure time. I have never used sub-streams until now.

I will keep you informed. :)

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Flintstone61

Disabling hardware acceleration actually fixed the problem with these dropouts.
Thanks a lot for this tip :D. But I am still surprised because with this function you should be able to offload the CPU. I only have 2 cameras at the moment, but if there are more, I can't take advantage of this feature. But anyway, the main thing is that the actual problem could be solved.

I will soon also make the adjustment of the exposure time and see if the image might be a little better and report again, it could be for me still sometimes a little smoother

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I mentioned above, with the sub streams, hardware acceleration isn't needed anymore.

In many instances the CPU% to offload the video to the GPU is higher than the savings obtained by using GPU.

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello
I wanted to give a quick update on how things are looking. So the dropouts came in any case through the hardware acceleration. It still happens from time to time that individual "pixel errors" or whatever you call it creep in but not comparable to the image before.

Exposure time is now set to 1/200 on the outdoor camera and to 1/100 in the garage.

Well the pictures of the camera could still be better but I think that's probably due to the camera models/capabilities :)

Can I also get advice here on the forum when it comes to buying a new outdoor camera for an area not yet covered ? I want to avoid buying a camera that may not be suitable for the field.

Thanks again for the help

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
additional information for your consideration... adjustments that you may (or may not) wish to implement.

a too-high max bitrate is an impact on available resources with little benefit. standard recommended h.264 max bitrates
2688x1520 for 20fps = 6144
3840x2160 for 15fps = 8192

for a image quality that doesn't vary widely, constant would be the choice; however, there are system/network impacts.
bitrate type: variable vs. constant
variable
sacrifice image quality to save network bandwidth and storage space
constant
sacrifice network bandwidth and storage space for image quality

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
additional information for your consideration... adjustments that you may (or may not) wish to implement.

a too-high max bitrate is an impact on available resources with little benefit. standard recommended h.264 max bitrates
2688x1520 for 20fps = 6144
3840x2160 for 15fps = 8192

for a image quality that doesn't vary widely, constant would be the choice; however, there are system/network impacts.
bitrate type: variable vs. constant
variable
sacrifice image quality to save network bandwidth and storage space
constant
sacrifice network bandwidth and storage space for image quality
Hi jmhmcse

I have applied these settings, let's see how it behaves, thanks for the info.