Ds-2cd2047g2 lu external IR emitter

Iras

n3wb
Reaction score
hello. Since i have installed 4 of the cameras as per the title, i have noticed that they have trouble in motion detection during night time. I don't want to have the white light on all the time, so i have set it to go on only when motion is detected. And this rarely happens due to the issue mentioned before. My question is whether the camera can "see" IR light in order to be combined with external IR emitters, since it doesn't have such light integrated

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope it cannot see infrared.

It is one of the reasons why we suggest cameras with infrared unless someone knows they have enough light or is willing to keep the built-in white light on all night.

People think these colorvu cameras are magic, but they cannot defy physics. They need light to see.

And they need light to be able to see and detect motion, which is why your motion detection sucks at night.

Either add more white light, use the built-in white light on all night, or get a camera that has infrared capabilities.

Iras

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope it cannot see infrared.

It is one of the reasons why we suggest cameras with infrared unless someone knows they have enough light or is willing to keep the built-in white light on all night.

People think these colorvu cameras are magic, but they cannot defy physics. They need light to see.

And they need light to be able to see and detect motion, which is why your motion detection sucks at night.

Either add more white light, use the built-in white light on all night, or get a camera that has infrared capabilities.
Thank you for your reply. One thing i've noticed is that when i point a tv control at the camera, i see a flashing light coming from the control at the push of button. Isn't this an indication of the camera's ability to see IR?

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tbh it might even work, but the result will be funny as hell(purple) since there is no IR filter on camera to begin with.

You can test my theory and prove me wrong :D Then we will both learn something

Iras

n3wb
Reaction score
Tbh it might even work, but the result will be funny as hell(purple) since there is no IR filter on camera to begin with.

You can test my theory and prove me wrong :D Then we will both learn something
I have a battery IR camera that i will use tonight to see if the Hikvision one can detect its light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It can see the IR at the light source, but it will not see emitted light spread out over the landscape.

Iras

n3wb
Reaction score
When using the IR light from another camera, i can see no visible difference in the live view of Hikvision camera. I guess this confirms its inability to see IR light. Nevertheless, the image quality during nightime even in complete darkness is not bad, although with some noise

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but are running default/auto shutter? If so, motion will be a complete blur as the shutter has been slowed way down to let as much light in as possible.

Change the shutter to 1/60 or 1/120 and what does the image look like.

Iras

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah but are running default/auto shutter? If so, motion will be a complete blur as the shutter has been slowed way down to let as much light in as possible.

Change the shutter to 1/60 or 1/120 and what does the image look like.
Looks fine on 1/50 shutter speed