DS-2CD2432F-IW IR very dim, even flickering

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have about 20 of the subject cameras between two locations. For the most part, they've been running like a top. All but a handful are PoE.

A month or so ago, one that was plugged into a wall wart (wifi connected) began to exhibit an IR flickering when in night mode. Eventually the IR became so dim, the image was nearly useless. Viewing the IR in person shows a barely visible pink glow - unlike the others that are almost a hot red.

At first I attributed it to being non-PoE powered. But connecting it to a wired PoE connection made no difference. Alas, I resigned myself to a non-functioning nighttime view. For that particular camera that wasn't a loss so I moved on.

Just this week a second camera began exhibiting the same IR LED dimming (no flickering, though). This time, I contacted the (AliExpress) seller, who asked all the obvious questions - but ultimately said I would need to send the camera back for repair. That is a risk with buying Chinese product at a lower price, I guess. And while I'm ok with that risk, I am concerned that this is now the second camera doing this.

The first camera is firmware V5.2.5 build 141201, and has been in operation for 6 months (best guess). The second one is also the same firmware. Is that a hint? I'm tempted to try and upgrade, but don't want to even risk bricking it (or going pure Chinese) if the likelihood of fixing the IR issue is nil.

Ideas?

gravykid

n3wb
Reaction score
I would love to know the answer to this. I was hoping that my failing IR in both my DS-2CD2432F-IW and DS-2732F-IS were software issues, however I fear they are hardware related. I've had both since 2014 and they lasted a little over a year. I'm considering using a separate IR device on a motion detect anyway as I found they weren't that powerful. That being said, they shouldn't just crap out like that either....

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Especially when you see the advertised life spans of LED lights now a days (i.e. 50k hours)... Ultimately, a standalone IR illuminator may be the only solution (short of the hassle and expense of sending to China). I'll have to research if they don't make a 48V IR illuminator - or an adapter that can feed off the camera's PoE, stepping it to 12V or 5V. I have to avoid using a wall wart or running more cat 6.

ETA: This Cat5 splitter appears to literally split each pair to two ports - meaning that both data and power pins are shared on the output. That would be perfect, since the camera would occupy one (both data and power), and a simple 48V to 12V PoE adapter like this could be put on the other port - to power a cheap 12V illuminator like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not recommend using that splitter. it just duplicates all 4 pairs on each plug, tying them together across the two.
It's only for using one ethernet device at a time. It might work, but depends on how an active PoE power supplier (switch)
will behave with 2 active PoE devices at the other end. try at your own risk.

This is the sort of ethernet splitter that will allow two PoE cams to run over one ethernet drop:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121967750870
it works for 10/100mbs only, as they require only 2 pairs
it works for mode A PoE also, as that uses the same pairs for power.
(it'll even work for 2 mode-B poe devices, but that runs the power over the other's data lines, so not recommended)
This can be done with a couple of cleverly fabricated Y-patch cables, too.

If you just want to add another 12V device at the cam end of an existing PoE modeA link (which uses wire pairs 1/2 & 3/6),
either
1) use an active PoE Splitter at the cam end and then split the 12V output to power the cam and your extra IR.
http://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-ethernet-Splitter-Adapter-Compliant/dp/B00SM196AE/ref=sr_1_1
http://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-5-5x2-1mm-Female-Camera-Splitter/dp/B00YOKY4D6/ref=sr_1_6
This assumes your Poe mode A source can power both the cam and the IR.
or
2) use a passive mode B injector and splitter to multiplex the power for the extra device onto
the ethernet at the swicth (using wire pairs 4/5 & 7/8) and peal it off at the cam end.
http://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Passive-Injector-Splitter-Connector/dp/B00NRHNPUA/ref=sr_1_4
(this allows use of external PS of arbitrary power at the switch end for the IR)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.