DS-2CD2H35FWD-IZS Audio Problems

yorkie

Young grasshopper
Feb 22, 2024
United Kingdom
I have the above camera type fitted but am having issues getting the audio input to work (1-way audio)
When turning on the sound, all I hear is a constant throbbing noise whilst any actual sound from outside is either not being picked up at all or is drowned out completely.
There is no internal microphone and an external mic has to be connected through a 3.5mm jack socket.

Looking elsewhere it seems a problem that has popped up with other people too.

:- I have tried both a Mono and a Stereo jack plug - using the stereo plug I have connected both grounds (L+R) together and likewise the red and white wires for L+R have been connected together
:- I have tried powering the microphone from a different power supply to the camera
:- I have tried using a passive (unpowered) microphone that I normally use on my decktop PC
:- I have tried adjusting the audio gain in the Web UI

- and none have provided results. If I use the passive mic and drop it hard on the desk then a very very faint 'tap' can be heard, but that's all; it's certainly not even close to what is required for proper audio recording. I know the active microphone works, as it has previously been used as a PA mic, but when connected to this camera there is nothing but the throbbing sound. I have had this problem with an Avigilon H3 dome too, but the throbbing was more at a low level so the normal environmental sounds were still being picked up - but on this Hikvision camera the throbbing just drowns out all other sound.

Is this something that could be resolved with firmware, some hidden setting, or is there something else at play here?