DS-7208HTHI Audio modification

Userhik

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm taking a long shot by having a strange request of help from whoever wants to help me:

I have a surveillance system based on DVR HIkVision DS-7208HTHI-K2 firmware version V4.25.001 build 211208 (K71 platform) with 8 channels, each having one 4k ColorVu camera without microphone. The system has 4 audio inputs through 4 RCA plugs each having a DS-2FP2020 microphone attached, that workes flawlessly for over 2 years now. What I want to do is to make a modification on the surveillance system in the sense that I would like to enable the audio input on the other 4 channels that the device has.

From the hardware point of view I am sure that this is possible because everything is there in place on the motherboard as you will see below:

The motherboard is almost the same with the DS-7216HTHI-K2 model because the two squared places where are missing the 2 integrated circuits are for channels from 9-12 and 13-16. On the other side of the motherboard are two circuits that are used for channels 1-4 and 5-8 Each circuit supporting 4 channels with video input as well as audio input.

Mainboard.jpg

The system supports 4 audio inputs with 4 RCA plugs and 8 audio inputs through coaxial (AoC) from analog cameras that have a build in microphone.
The 4 RCA plugs are corespondent to the first 4 channels (1-4). The other 4 channels (5-8) can only have audio through coaxial cable.

The two white sockets (JP34 annd JP29) are both for audio input plugs, the pins being marked on the image. The first audio channel is
The first RCA plug is soldered directly onto the motherboard as the first input being in the same enclosure as the audio output RCA.
The other 3 RCA plugs are connected via a 4 pin cable that goes into JP34 socket.

By default, all the channels are set to receive audio through AoC mode, so whenever I have to configure it (by reseting the device) I must choose from the interface the external audio for those 4 channels:

Camera01.jpg

On the Audio Source menu there are two options: Local Audio (RCA) and Camera Audio (AoC). This option is valid only for the channels 1-4
For the other channels (5-8) there is no posibility to choose the audio so it's set only on Camera Audio (AoC):

Camera02.jpg

Now, I have bought for testing a HD analog camera with built-in microphone (DS-2CE16D0T-ITFS) and I have seen that it works the Audio over Coaxial, on all 8 channels, But all mai 4K cameras are without built-in microphones and besides that I have not found a 4K TurboHD HikVision ColorVu camera to buy, I cannot afford anymore to change them even if there are on the market, because they are already too expensive.

So the only possible solution for me to use the system at it's maximum capacity is by modifying the firmware since it is clear that it's a software limitation.

For the last 2 weeks I have read tens if not hundreds of pages on these forums to see if I can enable SSH on the DVR but, using all the methods that I have seen posted, I got no luck so far (Device is busy error): I was hoping that I could modify the firmware directly on the unit but got no luck.

I tried decompiling the firmware digicap.dav to see what is inside and got no success with hikpack tool because it does not support the K71 platform, but managed to decomplile it with hiktools05R1 and got the cramfs.img file (under Windows 11 x64), decompress with 7zip and got all these files: gui_res.tar.lzma, i18n.tar.lzma, new_10.bin, player.tar.lzma, RSA, start.sh, sys_app.tar.lzma, uImage, WebComponents.exe and webs.tar.lzma. The lmza archives I cannot open under ubuntu, saying that is not an archive. The only one that works is the i18n.tar.lzma one which contains the language files.

So, since my DVR model is on End of Life already and no firmware will be developed further on, my question is if anyone is willing to help me create for the channels 5-8 the same audio menu that is now implemented for the channels 1-4. I know for sure that this is possible, but I do not have the experience to accomplish it therefore is a big challenge.

Thank you!