DS-7716n-e4 Chinese to English - Firmware Update

marcelve

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but here I go:

Recently picked up a second (or third, fourth,...whatever...) hand DS-7716N-E4 with 4 camera's
All is working just fine.

First thing I noticed, the PSU fan is enormously noisy. Will replace that at some point.

Anyway, only after I got the thing I started to investigate it. Almost loaded a newer NI firmware onto it; not trusting it I looked into the N vs NI and came on this forum realizing just uploading a firmware may brick the think.
Having nowhere found any N tagged firmware decided against updating.

Yet with all discussions on Hikvision backdoors etc, wanted to go to a newer firmware.

Reading this forum, not sure if I should go forward with this and get a paperweight as a result.
There are so may post I'm a bit lost (Not to say that I don't understand all these TTL commands just yet).
I read on 1 vs 2 as language codes, but that seems not the only thing that needs to be modded as I read that people did that and getting the "This device is illegal"of some sorts.

So, my system:

1694329061339.png

It says 7716N, but the web and local menu's on the system are in english. It so seems, somebody already managed to transfer it language wise.
Does that mean I can just simply upload an NI firmware to it by the web interface (Is there something in the terminal output that can tell my DVR is properly modded and can accept NI firmwares without bricking it?)

Looking at what is available from the EU portal; I'm way back on firmware:

1694329325719.png

Thanks!

Marcel

Attachments