DS2cd2043GO Bullet Camera Water Inside lens

Spb1029

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone else has this issue with this camera. So far in the last 2 years I have had the same issue with all 6 of my cameras and had to have them replaced. I am now having the same issue again. Is this model defective and I am in NJ and the rain here is not so severe. is there a difference style camera that is better for outdoor use then these?

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take the cameras down, take them apart in the house, and let them dry out for 24hrs.
Most likely that is moisture/condensation forming on the lens due to heating and cooling cycles.
Put new moisture absorbing packets inside the cams, they do get saturated over time and stop doing their job.
Be sure to reassemble the cams inside the house in a low humidity environment and be sure that all places are properly sealed with RTV silicone.

Spb1029

n3wb
Reaction score
How often should this happen. I had both of these cameras replaced 1 yr after purchase and I have only purchased them 2 yrs ago. Seems odd that would need to be going through this every year.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How often should this happen. I had both of these cameras replaced 1 yr after purchase and I have only purchased them 2 yrs ago. Seems odd that would need to be going through this every year.
  • Are the cams directly exposed to the elements?
  • Are the pigtails un-caulked where they enter the cams?
If the answer to either or both of the above is "yes" then you're more likely to draw in water during the cool-off period (part of the thermal cycle mentioned by @looney2ns ).
Ideally all cams should be out of direct rain and sun, preferably under a roof eave and the pigtail-to-RJ-45 connection done inside a junction box AND properly weatherproofed.

Last edited:

Spb1029

n3wb
Reaction score
The cams are wired in a junction box and all wiring is protected from the elements. They cams are attached to the siding of the house. Unfortunately the eves are to high up. Is there a different style came that is better for this type of installation. When I purchased as well as spoke with hikvision this issue shouldn't occure.

Spb1029

n3wb
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to avoid this from happening. Its a real pain to be taking the cameras down all the time. Maybe a different camera style or some sort of shield for the bullets cams?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a non-professional like you, I am also quick to reply and say that “I did all that correctly! I swear!!”.
But you might be surprised what “properly weatherproofed” means. Maybe try to get a working professional to properly reinstall your cameras. Not a family friend.
These pros work in your area and have the background to address these concerns.

You are not the only person in your area to have cameras exposed to the weather you have described. You don’t live in a microcosm of weather destruction, your entire region experiences the same weather.

Only you can decide if replacing/repairing them every 12 months makes you better off than getting a second pair of eyes on the problem.
Professional, experienced eyeballs that is.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The cams are wired in a junction box and all wiring is protected from the elements.
I gotta go with @TonyR on this one. This is a very vague description of how the camera and or junction box is properly weather proofed.
Again, it may seem weatherproof to you, but I think @TonyR has presented a good question that is only the first of many that should be asked.
Properly rated and applied caulking is important, along with many other important installation concerns.

Knowing that you have a severe weather condition install, you could probably benefit from having a professional re-install your cameras.
Sometimes your just gotta bite the bullet, especially if you are installing in a severe weather situation.