DSC - Open zones will not close

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DSC PC1832 with 18 zones. It worked well untill a few days ago when I programmed the names of the zones using the DSL5 software. After I downloaded the data back to the panel, all zones now appear as opened no matter if it is opened or closed. I tried rebooting the panel to no avail. I even plugged a new sensor and it showed automatically as opened eventhough it was closed.

Did DLS changed some kind of setting? Any ideas why it is showing everything as open?

Thanks

Reaction score
I have same system. Don't know anything about DSL5 software. Remote programming via IP or serial?
Sure sounds like the something got corrupted for the upload. Save programming to a SD card, and then factory reset?

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
Remote programming via serial with PCLink. Factory reset might be what I will have to do... Unfortunately.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Check your end of line resistors first. But I would think a factory reset, then try again.

Reaction score
is it... much easier to program with this PCLink? I do have 14-15 zones (window/door sensors, glass breaks, motions) I still have to really program in detail (was hoping to get my Home Assistant 100% at the same time...but then house Bob Villa projects have side tracked me). Was not looking forward to programming the entire system via the keypad.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
is it... much easier to program with this PCLink? I do have 14-15 zones (window/door sensors, glass breaks, motions) I still have to really program in detail (was hoping to get my Home Assistant 100% at the same time...but then house Bob Villa projects have side tracked me). Was not looking forward to programming the entire system via the keypad.
I have never used the PC link.
Is it hard to get the software? I have been out of alarms for a while now.

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
I have used PCLink because it is much easier to program the zones plus it can download the all the events buffer which is very useful to me.
The thing is the documentation is very weak and it is hard to find information. I read on another forum that the software is a bit flimsy. Now I understand why...
I downloaded the software from the support page of the company where I bought the equipment (aartech.ca) as the DSC page is only available to professionals (DSC - Technical Library).
I will continue to troubleshhot today and give you the results. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Reaction score
This PCLink... can I get a copy? :)
I understand serial connections as we have to use our work laptop -> serial for business phone system voicemail systems

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
I have done a hard reset. The problem still remains. All zones always show as open. Question: when you do a reset, are the zone names supposed to go back to zone 1, zone 2, etc. and is the time/date supposed to be empty? Because the time/date and my zone names are still there.

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
Good news: Problem solved!

You were right Old Timer, it was a problem with the resistors. I had configured option [013] to OFF for End-of-Line Resistors, but I had only put the resistors on the empty zones and not on all zones. So I reconfigured [013] to ON (Normally Closed Loops) and I now have my system working.

Now for PCLink, as there is not much information out there on the subject, here is how I have managed to plug to my system with DLS5:
1- First, when you plug PCLink through the USB COM port on your PC, you have to make sure that DLS5 sees it. To do so,
  • goto Tools/Modem Manager Configuration
  • under Type, select PCLINK and make sure to select USB Serial Port
2- Create a new account
  • Note: under Panel Type, you either select your panel model (you will find the panel number on a green tag on your dsc board OR Automatically detect panel (this option did not work for me though, I had to enter the model directly)
3- Open the new account
4- On your DSC keyboard, to allow computer access for a limited time, you do: [*][6][Master Code][5]
5- In DLS5, you select the Global Upload to get all data from the panel, and make sure to select PCLINK as your Connection Type

Data should begin to download. Sometimes it does not and I use the code *[8][Intaller Code][499][Installer Code][499] to force download or upload depending on what I need.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I actually put EOL resistors right at all my sensors. Have yet to put them in zones I have not used. But this makes a good case of doing so.

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure why the 1st link to purchase the PCLINK cable is $89 (and shipping to USA from Canada).
Found cheaper $18 at DSC PCLINKSCW Programming Serial Cable but will need a USB/serial connector if laptop does not have serial connection (mine does...whoopie!).
When you buy the PCLink without the RS232/USB connector, it is acutally much cheaper. Here in Canada, the connector itself costs 29$, but in my case I needed the RS232/USB connector so I had to pay 60$ more just for the connector. Glad that you won't have to pay for that since your laptop already has the serial connection.