Dual monitor display changes when shutting off one of the monitors

jwamsley07

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an HTPC setup with two monitors that I run BI on. We use the big screen TV(monitor) for all our media in our living room. Below that I have a 2nd security monitor that comes out of the same PC I have put all the cameras on. All runs great as long as both the TV and monitor are running. When we go to bed, I shut off the TV and the display completely changes on the security monitor bringing up windows desktop and the cameras disappear. When we turn the TV back on, the screen changes back to the way it was. Has anybody had this problem and been able to lock the screens so the windows desktop stays on the main display even when shutting off the TV?

Thanks,
Wayne

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run a very similar setup, one 60" TV for our HTPC needs and one 47" TV for the cameras (using the display on desktop feature of BI).

The problem you have is that the computer detects the turning off of the TV and so rearranges your desktop onto the monitor it does detect - this is normal (although I do agree it sucks). The trick is to not let the computer know the TV is off and you do that by turning OFF your TV's CEC. You will find the CEC setting in your TV's menu settings.

Once CEC is turned off the computer will not know when you turn the TV on/off and so your desktop will stay put. :cool: