DUAL NIC and Managed Switches ( POE)

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am now moving to the TP link omada system.

I have my plus IRIS on my dedicated computer and have DUAL NICS in place. The POE cameras are on the 2nd NIC and isolated from the internet.

My question is can I use one large POE switch with VLAN to manage netwoks on different LANS?

In otherwords, I would like to use the same switch for

1) POE cameras on one VLAN (
2) All my other devices on VLANs inlcuding POE access points.

Thanks

L

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure you can. Many do.

The dual NIC is cheaper and faster, and depending on the number of cameras, better than VLANs (although true VLAN users will refute it LOL).

For example, the EdgeRouter X is claimed to be somewhere between 800Mbps to 1Gbps, but you see tests all over where people are only getting in the 700Mbps range.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming non-stop 400 Mbps. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, over a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed.

I would just as soon not have that much video data going thru a device if it doesn't need to. Has to slow the system down.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the use of VLANS on a managed switch will allow you to maintain separate networks.

Only caveat... if the switch fails for whatever reason, you've lost connectivity on all your devices. Many here use multiple smaller switches to minimize connections loss if a switch fails

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, the use of VLANS on a managed switch will allow you to maintain separate networks.

Only caveat... if the switch fails for whatever reason, you've lost connectivity on all your devices. Many here use multiple smaller switches to minimize connections loss if a switch fails
Sure you can. Many do.

The dual NIC is cheaper and faster, and depending on the number of cameras, better than VLANs (although true VLAN users will refute it LOL).

For example, the EdgeRouter X is claimed to be somewhere between 800Mbps to 1Gbps, but you see tests all over where people are only getting in the 700Mbps range.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming non-stop 400 Mbps. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, over a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed.

I would just as soon not have that much video data going thru a device if it doesn't need to. Has to slow the system down.

Thanks for all of the advice and help. So I plan to have 2 switches

1) For all all of all my regular network stuff

2) One switch for POE cameras only - this will connect to the dual NIC as it does now. What I will be curious to see if I can make this Omada POE cam only on the dual NIC be managed by the Omada controller. I am not sure if you can do this with Ubiquity? Omada seems to be a clone? I am just now sure how to connect the managed switch from the 2nd nic and still have it be recognized in the OMADA system?

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone for the advice. SO here is my proposed setup. I plan to use the TL-SG3428MP POE switch for the cams only. I can connect the two switches to the router via SFP switches. My question:

I have a DUAL nic on my dedicated Blue IRIS PC. If I connect the omada as below ( same as Uniquiti) I imagine. How do I connect the 2nd NIC to the network? Do I just plug it into the TL-SG3428MP via ethernet? My goal is so see all of the switches on the Omada systems. The Dual nic is on 192.168.55.X .

Pushing my networking limits. TIA

thumbnail.jpg