Dual NIC BI server question

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is the first time for me running a dual NIC server. It's already set up as the ipcamtalk recommendation here: Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

My question is on the router side: is there anything in particular I need to configure within the router to ensure static IPs for the cameras and make absolutely sure the cameras do not reach the internet or our network?

Last edited:

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The cameras should not be on that lan at all so neither can access one another except through Blueiris.

Thank you for your response. Are you saying I should not see the cameras within my router? If the above is correct, does that mean I just assign a static IP through the camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct - your router should not see the cameras.

You should assign a static IP address to each camera within the camera GUI.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is correct - your router should not see the cameras.

You should assign a static IP address to each camera within the camera GUI.

Great, thanks so much for your time and response!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
To add clarification to the illustration above.

NIC 1 is assigned either a static IP of 192.168.1.(2-254) or set to auto for the router to assign. (Within Windows)
NIC 2 is assigned a static IP of 192.168.2.(1-254) (Within Windows)
CAMs are assigned a static IP of 192.168.2.(1-254) (Within camera GUI)

Last edited:

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you set up the dual NIC correctly, using a POE switch to connect the cams to your BI PC, then the cams will not be seen by the router. From your questions, it does not sound like you fully understand the setup. See the diagram.

View attachment 185682
Thank you for this! And you are correct, I did not fully understand the setup. I believe I'm getting it now, as I have two cameras set up and on BI.

My next question with this setup is with a point-to-point bridge. To get cameras to a building across the street, we'll be using NanoStations. Using your diagram above as an example, what will go into setting up the NanoStations on NIC #2, 192.168.2.xxx?