dual stream record issue / question

podrick

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have blue iris 5.3.7.3 and I noticed that when I have a sub stream setup in cameras and enabled in BI , it seems BI records both streams, is that how the feature works? and if so is there a way to disable that other then removing the substream? I have the checkmark unchecked under the record tab

edit: fixed BI version

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed that feature being available in my version 5 on my "Live" work machine. But checking my other machine. 5.3.6.2...It has that option checked. So i unchecked it. But i havent got any cams on this practice version of software at the moment. You'd think unchecking would stop the behavior. Maybe restart the cam?

podrick

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, I already tried to restart the camera, no joy. I'm going to delete the camera and see what happens, if that doesnt work im going to lower the sub stream down to a lower resolution, something like 480p. I have 3 dahua 5442's at the moment with one more going up soon.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder what the advantage is to add this functionality to BI? I'm not Uber techy, So somebody must have had a reason to add this and make it enabled/disable. Now When I get to Work in 1/2 hour, I'm going to check to see if any of my updates to of Version 5 have added this feature set.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you read the BI help files it explains it all, the main advantage is that using the substream means that things like motion detection and scrubbing through recording is less system and resource intensive.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The record substream option was made available for two main reasons - first one is it drops the CPU usage down substantially and when watching live as your tile of cameras (seeing all your cameras on the screen at once) are on on substream unless you make one full screen. Most people are aware of this reason.

The second reason is then for playback. If you watch all your cameras during playback in a tile fashion, prior to the substream option - many computers would max out 100% CPU trying to record mainstream live and do playback of a past event. Now playback is like watching live - when you see all your cameras on the screen, it will show the substream until you make a camera full screen. Knocks the CPU usage way down in this case.

It's nice he now adds the option if you want to record substream or not as there may be a camera or two that you don't want to (or you have a newer computer that can playback past events while also recording live and not max out CPU), but after you have tried to watch all of your cameras in playback at the same time, unless you have a screamer newer machine, you will certainly appreciate this aspect of the program.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you read the BI help files it explains it all, the main advantage is that using the substream means that things like motion detection and scrubbing through recording is less system and resource intensive.
Yes I use Substream feature in early version 5. That part I have enabled. His question was in his Version, it was recording both Streams and there is a menu item in his version to enable/disable the recording.
but he wasn't having luck getting it to stop recording the Sub.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The record substream option was made available for two main reasons - first one is it drops the CPU usage down substantially and when watching live as your tile of cameras (seeing all your cameras on the screen at once) are on on substream unless you make one full screen. Most people are aware of this reason.

The second reason is then for playback. If you watch all your cameras during playback in a tile fashion, prior to the substream option - many computers would max out 100% CPU trying to record mainstream live and do playback of a past event. Now playback is like watching live - when you see all your cameras on the screen, it will show the substream until you make a camera full screen. Knocks the CPU usage way down in this case.

It's nice he now adds the option if you want to record substream or not as there may be a camera or two that you don't want to (or you have a newer computer that can playback past events while also recording live and not max out CPU), but after you have tried to watch all of your cameras in playback at the same time, unless you have a screamer newer machine, you will certainly appreciate this aspect of the program.
Good to know, thanks.

podrick

n3wb
Reaction score
well, after deleting the camera and manually adding it back with all its settings how I had them configured ( what a pain ) , it's still recording on both streams. I'm going to go ahead and drop the resolution from 720p to 480p on the substream at the camera's interface.