Dumb NVR question

If I but this EmpireTech Refurbished NVR8CH-AI 8 Channels 1U 2HDD Network Video Reco from Andy....I assume I just plug it into my Poe switch?
Essentially, yes.
Assign unique, static IP's to the cameras in the same subnet as the NVR's LAN but outside of the router's (if any) DHCP pool.

What's is the NVR's LAN IP? It's OK to share, it's a private IP. and well all have them. My Blue Iris server is 192.168.200.250. Just don't share your public (WAN) IP or NVR QR code image.

If it's 192.168.1.108, I'd change it before attempting to plug in a Dahua, Amcrest or EmpreTech/Loryta cam, they're all OEM'd by Dahua and the default IP is 192.168.1.108 so if that's the same as the NVR's LAN then it's a problem. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: looney2ns
see this is where I start to get confused lol.....but I will figure it out. Right now it's still on the .108 it came with from the factory

see this is where I start to get confused lol.....but I will figure it out. Right now it's still on the .108 it came with from the factory
Is it connected to a router?

yes. I'm using dmss to view it.
Do you know what the router's LAN/gateway IP is and how to log into the router?
It's likely 192.168.1.1

Do you know what the router's LAN/gateway IP is and how to log into the router?
It's likely 192.168.1.1
oh yea, I can get into the router....have no problem changing ip's on the cameras....just lost you at DHCP pool. I don't have a NVR yet, trying to figure out which route I want to go....May just order the package with more cameras since I need them anyway.

A router's DHCP pool is a range of IP's that the router uses to assign to devices that are NOT already configured as static; those devices are set to "auto" or "DHCP" and receive an IP from the router.

Assuming the router sits at 192.168.1.1, then generally IP's from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.255 are NOT in that DHCP pool range and you can use them for static IP's for your cameras, printers, etc.

You can use IP's that are in the DHCP pool's range for your static devices BUT if you do then you should then make IP reservations accordingly in the router. IMO, it's just as easy to use the IP's outside (above) that DHCP pool range.

In the range example I mentioned, .200 to .255 allows for 56 cams; if you have more you can change the pool range from .100 to .255, adding 100 more IP's for your use.

EDITED 10/3 @ 1933 hrs CDT for spelling errors (I'm so dyslexic when typing).

Last edited:
Reactions: jakep5253