DVR camera works for a few minutes then this.......

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't see a section specifically for DVR cameras so I hope this is the proper place to post. I am trying to figure out what is causing this office camera to go flakey.

Steps I have taken:

REMOVED WORKING CAMERA FROM SIDE OF BUILDING / TRIED ON CHANNEL 8 ( OFFICE CAM CABLE ) DID NOT WORK.

CONNECTED OFFICE CAM TO SIDE OF BUILDING CAMERA WORKED ( although it wasn't connected long enough for me to reliably say the camera was 100% functional )

CHANGED BNC CONNECTORS IN OFFICE / CAMERA WORKS WHEN CONNECTED TO POWER THEN SLOWLY THE VIDEO GETS DISTORTED

My thought, the camera is malfunctioning and maybe the reason the known working camera didn't work when connected was because I connected it before I replaced the BNC connectors and possibly were also faulty. From what I have read, if it was a power issue the video would appear as rolling lines... This is not the case.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

IPCAM CHAT.jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick thought is the BNC cable got water in it. It is difficult to change a BNC connector unless you have the right tools and even then you may have an issue. And an issue could be with the BNC on the camera end as well since you said it didn't work You are probably better off just replacing the run of cable and the camera if it doesn't work on a known good run of cable.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quick thought is the BNC cable got water in it. It is difficult to change a BNC connector unless you have the right tools and even then you may have an issue. And an issue could be with the BNC on the camera end as well since you said it didn't work You are probably better off just replacing the run of cable and the camera if it doesn't work on a known good run of cable.
Thank you for the suggestion, I wasn't aware that was a common issue. It definitely could be the case as there was a leak right around that area.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had that happen once and tried to replace the BNC connector and could never get it to work right, so the time I wasted fiddling with what was probably almost impossible to correct was longer than just running a new cable.