DVR static IP Address

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to all your advice I now have changed my router to a Unifi UDM-US. I'm setting up VLANs and about to switch my current DVR from 192.168.1.* to 192.168.3.. I took a look at the network setup for the DVR and it is set to a static IP. Perhaps this is a remnant of the port forwarding that I disabled and no longer want to use. I will VPN instead. If I left it static and changed my UDM to now connect it to 192.168.3., I fear I would be locked out of it and the unit is only reasonably accessible by LAN. Should I change the mode to DHCP and restart before I implement the new VLAN IP?

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I logged into the DVR and changed the third digit in the static IP address and default gateway from a 1 to a 2. The 2 corresponds to the subnet third digit and the associated VLAN id in Unify. At this point, as expected, I lost connectivity to the DRV.

Then in Unify I created a port profile for the associated VLAN for the port with the DVR cable. At this point I could use the new static IP and log into the DVR. Changing the IP apparently resets some things and forces you to install the plug-in again. My DVR initially required that I use the IE browser. Not sure if this has changed but Firefox used to have issues.

To insure devices on the DVR VLAN cannot initiate a connection to my LAN, I configured and added two firewall rules to the top of the LAN IN list:

allow established/related sessions Action: Accept

rejectNvrDvrVLANtoLAN Action: Reject