DW Spectrum (aka NxWitness) on Ubuntu box?

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone here use DW Spectrum (also known as NxWitness)? I realize that it can be considerably more expensive than Blue Iris (approx. $80 per license for each ip camera versus $60 for BI). However, I am concerned with the memory leakage issues surrounding BI. Asking users not to update Windows and its drivers seems like an invitation for malware or some other virus. Does DW Spectrum suffer from these kinds of operability challenges?

There's a guy in the Netherlands who demonstrated that the server-side of DW Spectrum can run without issue on a mini computer with limited resources. Here's a link to his YouTube video:

I'm thinking of spending $200 on a mini computer with an Intel J3455 with 6GB ram (which is the same CPU and more ram as the one in the YouTube video) or a little more for the J4125 with 8GB ram (which is a little more powerful with the same energy consumption specs). The unit will have dual nics so I'll attach one port to my PoE switch (and cameras) and the other to my router. For storage, I'll attach an external USB hdd or connect to NAS. This little machine should be sufficiently powerful to run up to 20 cameras or so using DW Spectrum. I'll access the server by running DW Spectrum on my Windows 10 laptop.

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited:

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an update for y'all!

I purchased a Minisforum GK41 mini pc. The specs are in the link below, but I'll tell you the best part... this little box has two NICs and draws around 10 watts!

Here's the link:

Amazon.com: Mini PC Windows 10 Pro 8GB LPDDR4 128GB SSD Intel Celeron J4125 Processor Quad Core(up to 2.7GHz),4X USB 3.0 Ports,2X Gigabit Ethernet,Digital Mic,4K HDMI 2.0/DP Port,Dual Band Wi-Fi,BT 5.0: Computers & Accessories.

It arrived today and I've installed Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS and DW Spectrum. (DW Spectrum comes with a 30-day four camera trial license.) The software is amazing. The hardest part was figuring out how to assign static ip's to the dual NICs. I'm a total linux newbie, but after some googling I figured out how to adjust Ubuntu's netplan files using the CLI. Brings back memories of using DOS in the 1980s :headbang:

Next up... installing the 2.5 inch 2TB hard drive so DW Spectrum can store the videos on a local internal drive.

When I get it all up and running, I'll post a step-by-step how-to on this thread in case others are interested going this route.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This post explains how I've setup my ip camera system. Like many others here, I think the security concerns associated with the cameras "calling home" is best handled by physically separating them from your trusted devices using "dual NICs". That's just my opinion--if you disagree, that's okay. I'm posting this information because I think there may be others who have tried the same thing or are interested in doing something similar and I want to hear your ideas. Hopefully you can give me some kind suggestions on how to improve my setup.

I've designed my system to accommodate 7 cameras which will monitor my rowhouse. I haven't tried pushing this system to its limits. Based on the YouTube video (see post above), my guess is that all 7 cameras could be 4K, recording 24/7, and I would still be well-within the processing power of the mini pc.

The drawing below shows how the system is set up.

Drawing.JPG

First, I have a Netgear r7000 router. This router has been on the market for a few years and there are certainly more powerful routers out there. However, this router is also one of the favorites among DD-WRT enthusiasts and I purchased it with the express goal of using DD-WRT. (DD-WRT is third-party firmware available free for a variety of routers.)

One strength of more recent DD-WRT builds is that they support WireGuard's VPN protocol. WireGuard is an alternative to using OpenVPN. It is easier to setup than OpenVPN and runs much faster than OpenVPN. Please note WireGuard and OpenVPN are not VPN services that you subscribe to. Rather, they are software that you run on your router that allow you to connect remotely to your router from any internet connection in the world. So you can be visiting your in-laws and connect securely to your home network using their wifi through WireGuard (or OpenVPN). Your mother- and father-in-law just need to give you the access info to their guest wifi network. Next thing you know, your laptop will be connected to your home network like you never left.

Second, the router is connected to a mini pc by cat5 (standard ethernet cable). The mini pc has two NICs so the second NIC connects to a Netgear PoE switch with 8 ports--this gives me room to connect 7 ip cameras. A larger switch could be used if you want more cameras. The mini pc is a low powered quad core device--it is going to run 24/7 so we don't want it to eat a lot of electricity. Running Windows and Blue Iris is not going to be a viable option here. They would require too much of the mini pc's CPU and memory. Instead, I've installed DW Spectrum (aka Nx Witness) which demands less from the server. Even Rasberry Pi's can run DW Spectrum!

Part of DW Spectrum's advantage is that it comes in two parts: (1) a server component; and (2) a client component. The server component collects the video-feed from the ip cameras and records it to your hard drive and makes it available to your other devices that run the client component. This means that the server does not need the processing power of the computers that run Blue Iris because the server will not be rendering any video-feed. Instead, the rendering of video-feed is done by devices running the client component, like your laptop or smart phone, when you view the video-feed. This software design seems efficient and makes a lot of sense to me.

Getting the system running requires: (1) downloading a recent version of DD-WRT and flashing the Netgear r7000 router; (2) configuring DD-WRT; (3) installing Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS on the mini pc; (4) configuring Ubuntu via the command-line interface; (5) downloading and installing both server and client components of DW Spectrum; and (6) configuring DW Spectrum.

Each of these steps is available online by googling and reading various other forums and watching YouTube videos. If others are interested in setting up their systems like mine, I'll provide more details in a future post.

Lowvoltage

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this post I have been looking for this for a while.

I have DW Spectrum server running on a regular window PC, and I'm trying to run the client on raspberry PIs (so I can have monitors around the house with different layouts) and couldnt get it done.

Can you please guide me how to install the client on a PI? PS I know nothing about Ubunto never used or installed it but I think there are images that can be loaded on the PI.

Another question I have, I know DDwrt is great software but what benefit do you have for your setup that you mentioned it couple of time.
With DW cloud you dont need a VPN to login in to the NVR and dont need to port fwd anything.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Lowvoltage.

I've never tried to install the DW Spectrum client on a Raspberry Pi. As you probably know, DW Spectrum does not have a client for Raspian (the Raspberry Pi Foundation's OS). However, there is a client for Ubuntu () and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is available for the Raspberry Pi (Install Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi | Ubuntu). You'll want to follow the directions at the Ubuntu website to install Ubuntu "Desktop" (not server) on your Raspberry Pi (How to install Ubuntu Desktop on Raspberry Pi 4 | Ubuntu). Once you get Ubuntu Desktop running on the Pi, installing DW Spectrum should be very straight forward. You should be able to install it through the GUI or command line. Just google "installing software on Ubuntu Desktop" (or something like that) and I'm sure you'll find dozens of how-tos, including YouTube videos on it.

Don't be intimidated by Ubuntu--I've found it very user friendly. The directions are very clear. Just read them carefully. For example, if you're going to flash the Raspberry Pi's SD card using a Window's computer, be sure that you're following the directions for the Windows OS. And when you install Ubuntu, don't install a bunch of unnecessary software on it--the Raspberry Pi isn't really designed for that.

As for DD-WRT, there are a couple of immediate advantages. First, I can connect remotely (and securely) to it using the WireGuard VPN protocol which is a lot faster than OpenVPN. This is a very safe way to connect to my home network when I am away from home and allows me to access any networked devices as if I were home. WireGuard isn't available on any other firmware as far as I know (it's not even available on pfsense yet). Second, DD-WRT gives you comprehensive control over the router. So I can create vlans to separate my Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices from my trusted devices like my laptop while creating permissions so that my laptop can communicate with my IoT devices (but those devices will be restricted from initiating contact with my trusted devices). Third, because I can connect remotely to my home network using WireGuard, I can see my cameras without having to go through DW Spectrum's cloud.

Good luck. Please let us know how installing DW Spectrum on the Raspberry Pi goes.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think the DW Spectrum client can run on a Raspberry Pi. The website says the minimum requirements are an AMD or Intel CPU. The Raspberry Pi has neither.

The way DW Spectrum is designed the client software requires a lot more computing resources than its server software. Something like this mini pc can be mounted to the back of a computer monitor and should be able to run DW Spectrum. But it might be more than you want to spend.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Whoa! I did not know this software existed! $80/license is kind of steep, but if the stuff works well...

Currently using Synology Surveillance Station and not overly thrilled with it. I'm going to have to give DW Spectrum a close look.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Whoa! I did not know this software existed! $80/license is kind of steep, but if the stuff works well...
Yes--the license fees are expensive. But the software is amazing and worth the price in my opinion. Let us know what you think after your try it.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Exacq's Pro licensing is in the neighborhood of $150 per IP cam. Software Subscription Agreement (SSA) renewal is aprox $30/camera, annually. System continues to work if you choose not to renew the SSA, but you no longer recieve updates nor support. Great software, if you can afford it. Which, I cannot.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes--the license fees are expensive. But the software is amazing and worth the price in my opinion. Let us know what you think after your try it.
It looks pretty good at first blush. Isn't something I'm going to be doing anytime soon, though. I've already got more projects on my plate than I can count and my main network server is sorely in need of both hardware and OS upgrades before I think about dropping something like DW Spectrum on it. Perhaps this-coming winter...?

phil.w

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think the DW Spectrum client can run on a Raspberry Pi.
I just got it running today. Kinda. I installed Android (LineageOS) on an RPi3b and then put the mobile client apk on there. It definitely has limitations but meets my needs. Needed a monitor in the front office that always (and only) shows the front door cam view so they can buzz people in. The interface is a bit sluggish but I played around a bit with motion detect historical searching and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think an RPi4 with more RAM might be a bit snappier (if you could find one these days) but still would be limited to what the mobile app can do. It's not the full client but it's what I could make work and it is good enough for what I needed.