Dwayne Johnson "ripped" his front gates off to get to work on time

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I smell a publicity stunt. Most driveways gates have 1) battery backup, 2) solar backup, 3) key release for the actuator arm.
But I do admire the high tech verbiage, "could not override the hydraulic system". Very action oriented - good one Rock!
Humm, wonder if he'll post the cam video?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I smell a publicity stunt. Most driveways gates have 1) battery backup, 2) solar backup, 3) key release for the actuator arm.
But I do admire the high tech verbiage, "could not override the hydraulic system". Very action oriented - good one Rock!
Agree. Don't know much about them but not sure that I see any hydraulics there. Looks like a small electric actuator? Though I suppose there could be a small cylinder there. Don't really see any need for the extra complication of hydraulics with a small gate like that. Not having to overcome much force just to swing or slide a gate.

I'm sure that somewhere on Reddit or another site they've done a complete post mortem with components specifically identified and all aspects of the story analyzed. ; )

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think he needs better gates! if those where installed right he will never be able to ripped them out... also,hire some one from ipcamtalk to do the wiring better :D to that cam....

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
First World Problems ;)
Hard to ignore the fact that the wire is exposed at his front gate main camera :rofl:
Yeah the ethernet cable's not even following the cement line or clipped against the wall adequately and it doesn't look outdoor rated although I could be wrong on that. The same can be said of the mains voltage to the actuator. I'd cable it 90 degrees down the wall, then turn it at minimu radius and clip it all the way to the box again 90 degrees horizontally, which incidentally I wouldn't put on the edge of the wall in potential reach through the gates. As an amateur, I couldn't leave it looking like that on my property. Also, as you pointed out, for a high profile celeb, you'd expect the cable to be protected in steel conduit and for them to keep the housing etc clean. Looks a bit neglected for a managed system as well. You'd expect security to clean it daily as part of a maintainence schedule.

Finally, I'd mount the CCTV camera on the other side of the wall, although ideally it needs 2 cameras crossed over watching both sides, so as to to protect the actuator / locking mehcanism. Otherwise, an attacker simply crouches under the cctv system and is free to fiddle with the actuator / cabling, junction box, lock as much as they like to over ride it completely out of view.

I'm not so sure. When you look at the work overall, it's not great. For a start, if putting a gate post against a brick wall, I'd use expanding anchor bolts such as these:

If the bolts won't reach because of the box section, you simply buy longer bolts of the same diameter thread with the length increased by the thickness of the box section. Just looking at the gate post there's a bracket on the wall 1/2 way up that maybe attached it to the wall? If this is what they were, were they plugged in? Ludicris if that's the case.

Go try and pull one of those Rawbolts out of the wall. I'll give you a clue, you need a truck and you're going to pull down a section of wall. Ther bolt isn't coming out unless you undo it and in a security application, you can always put a spot weld on the bolt head to stop someone undoing it.

One final observation - I can't see any lift plates on the gate hinges so in theory at least, you could lift the gates off the hinges. I'm guessing they were relying on the weight to prevent that although even that's waste of time when your wall behind the gate post appears to go down to around a foot in height. Unless there's a fence on top, you simply walk in through the bushes! I think Dwayne should have employed me as a consultant. I would have been cheap - My fee would have been the cost of a security system for my own home!