Easy Alternative to HiDDNS?

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have an easy alternative to HiDDNS?

Can other services be added or alternative ddns services used?

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rather then use this DDNS and port forwarding, you should look at using a VPN instead. Slightly more complex, but much more secure.

Take a look at the very good post by Nayr: VPN Primer for Noobs

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm and installer and doing something like that for clients would be unrealistic unfortunately.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then I used NOIP for years without any real issues, apart from the 30 day confirmation checks becoming a pain. I used their free option with no issues.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah back to NOIP for us I think. It's just hard to get clients around the whole idea of paying and explaining why its cheaper than a static IP etc.

Might just make my own DynDNS server.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use NOIP with a VPN, as I used to. Just makes it a touch more secure, so I guess it really depends on who you are installing for. :)

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just residential users.

Used VPN for corporate and mine sites however a bit overkill and complicated for home users.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Asus routers have a free DDNS service that comes with. They also support OpenVPN, so if you talk your clients into a new router, you can set up both, and they can have a secure interface.
Ask if they really want their videos on the internet, or worse, open a port with port forwarding that lets bad guys into their home network.