Ebay

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before or in A cliff note somewhete.... , Is EBAY a good place to buy the hikvision equipment ? (In the usa) Or is that considered what I've read as " gray "? And should be avoided ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is where it is a crapshoot as you have no idea if it is a legit, a knockoff, a Chinese hacked, etc. and any attempt to update will probably brick it.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Gray market isn't the issue. If you don't want gray market equipment you have to go to an official manufacturer authorized outlet and pay double or more what you can get the same device for. Gray market equipment isn't not supported by the manufacturer. Instead of your purchase being backed by the manufacturer you're at the the mercy of the seller. The risks are getting a hacked chinese market device that can't be upgraded, and of zero support. It's a calculated risk that could be worth it for a lower price. I use Dahua equipment and am pretty much "I know nothing" about Hikvision. I think Empire Tech is selling some Hikvision equipment, and maybe somebody else can expand on that. Empire Tech's products are gray market, and usually cost a bit more than the lowest you can find on ebay. The upside is that Empire Tech products are not tied to the chinese market, and Empire has built a stellar reputation for support. It's the go-to vendor for the majority of the heavy IPCT forum users. If you want to take some risk, you might get some perfectly ok equipment from ebay. Or save a lot of research time and cut the risk with Empire. I don't know offhand if there's any Hikvision equipment on Empire's web site. Again, maybe somebody more familiar can help out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. I just looked at their site and they seem to be focusing more on NDAA compliant cams. Looks like even the ones they use to supply to the IPCT store are not available.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting. I just looked at their site and they seem to be focusing more on NDAA compliant cams. Looks like even the ones they use to supply to the IPCT store are not available.
I checked Nelly's, didn't see any hikvision.... unless he rebranded it.
I think Nelly's no longer use Hikvision OEM cameras because of the FCC Ban for a while now unless they change their mind recently again. Last I heard they use Vivotek from Taiwan now.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Be careful with Hikvision on the bay or on amazon. You will not be allowed to update the firmware. Gray market boxes will not be in color. But even some of the color box cameras you can't update. Buy from reputable sources.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I see there are some amazon and ebay listings claiming you can upgrade the firmware. You can compare prices with B&H Photo or some other authorized reseller. 6 years ago I started out with hacked chinese market cameras from ebay and it worked out ok, but since then the cameras have become significantly more complex and costly. For me, not worth messing with ebay/amazon any more with Empire Tech selling the real thing for not a whole lot more $ for the same camera. (Sorry I sound like a commercial, I have no connection other than being a customer). Would you consider moving to Dahua equipment? I actually did that 6 years ago.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did order 1 colorvu to try from B & H. But everything I think I might want is special order 4-6 week wait. And I don't think you can return anything that's special order. But, from what's being said. I'll probably just stick with them.
And Dahua, they don't seem to have a big variety of analog to pick from. I've still got that decision too, to pull all new wires. But the ip cams are much more expensive too.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plus, analog cameras, I don't see any firmware updates available, I don't. think they have updates for them. Ip cameras, yes updates, analog / turbohd cameras..I don't find any. So I would guess for that aspect they would be ok.