Edge Vector vs Simple for motion

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been playing with motion for a camera that I use motion between zones to trigger alerts. This is by my front door, and the camera is fairly close to the objects (20-30 feet), so with 3 zones defined cars typically are longer than any zone is wide. I think this makes edge vector less effective, as the entire object is not in any zone, but I'm not sure. I just toggled back to Simple to see the difference, has anyone experimented with this situation before?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Edge vector does not work good with zones and crossing right now. Simple works better.

Normal motion detection does work good with Edge Vector, fewer falsies for me.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what is the Edge vector setting good for? Just wondering because I've seen it going through my settings. I use simple as well.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of "bumping" this thread to see if in the latest versions ie. 5..4.9.x, edge vector is still the best in a non-zone crossing environment. Thoughts?
Every location is settings dependent, what works for me, probably will not work for you.
The best option is to test both, and see which works best for your situation/FOV.
Clone a camera, set one up as simple, and the other as edge vector, record continuously plus triggers, so you can see if either miss's anything.