electrical boxes for CAT5 cable?

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have an office that's being built. the steel frame is on, no sheet rock yet.
i would like to run CAT5 cables myself for networking and POE IP cameras in the future. at point A, where the camera will be, which boxes do i need so i can leave about 1 ft of coiled up CAT5 for the future? at point B, the other end of the CAT5 cable, there will be at least 10 other CAT5 cables converging here, what box do i need? could you please share an amazon link or even youtube link is fine. seems all the YT links are for AC outlets. so is it safe to assume i can use the same box too?

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is an adapter ring for Dahua turret cameras that mounts to a standard single gang electrical box but it's for indoor use. It could probably be used outside in protected areas away from direct sunlight or precipitation.

The normal thing for a cable bundle is to just have the bundle exit the wall, then use a two gang low voltage ring style mount with a two gang cover made for cable exit. This can vary with local electrical codes so you should check that out and it may need to be closed off with flame proof insulation depending on local codes and the inspectors mood.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can coil up cat5 in a regular double gang electrical gang box, but the White ones the guys are linking to give the camera a more finished, Pro look. I've done it both ways getting started in the IP camera journey. I guess it depends on the installaion location. In my undergound garages, at the Condo they used double gang electrical boxes in the original camera installation. So I've done that a couple times, because style doesnt matter. I just screwed the camera to the cover plate with self tappers.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
this is an office, so surely its going to have ethernet for office computers and such, as well as telephone wiring, no ? PoE cameras are exactly the same except for exterior mounting, and needing to go to a PoE switch rather than a regular ethernet switch. Talk to whomever is taking care of the data and telecomm, this should be added to their work.