Empire Tech 5442 or Nelly’s R-series??

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For anyone that uses or has used the Nelly’s R-series, what’s your thoughts? I’m looking at the 5 MP LED they have and the R-series NVR. It would be a residential install. What would you recommend between this and Empire Tech 5442? Thanks a million!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If using an NVR, it is best to match NVR brand with camera brand for full functionality of equipment, so yes the EmpireTech/Loryta/Dahua OEM NVR.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
For anyone that uses or has used the Nelly’s R-series, what’s your thoughts? I’m looking at the 5 MP LED they have and the R-series NVR. It would be a residential install. What would you recommend between this and Empire Tech 5442? Thanks a million!
The fact that Nelly doesn't list the actual sensor size of their cameras on their website is enough to make me stay away from them. (Resolution and sensor size are not the same). Perhaps they will give you this information if you ask them directly, but usually if a company doesn't provide that information upfront, it is because the sensor is smaller than normal (and normal isn't good enough - you need larger than normal). The sensor size plays a HUGE role in the low/no light performance of a camera, so it is critical to understand what you are buying. A reputable company will list that information very clearly in the camera's specs.

We like the 5442 series so much because it has one of the largest sensors offered in 4mp/5mp cameras which makes the low/no light performance of those cameras as good as anything out until you start getting into some really expense cameras (≈ $1000 range).

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here will say the 5442 series is the gold standard.

They come on ideal MP/sensor ratios and have fixed lens to varifocal up to 32mm.

Many here say 4MP is all that is needed for surveillance.

Dahua feels confident in this series in that they have new cameras out with better specs that they could have gave them different model numbers, but instead chose to keep them in the 5542 family.

Many will say the equivalent Hikvision 4MP on the same 1/1.8" sensor is just as good, but at that point, that is the debate of Ford versus Chevy or Toyota versus Honda. Personally I wouldn't trade out the 5442 for the comparable Hikvision.

Many will say Axis is the top of the line (at least in the prosumer type line), but they are also 5 times the price. Most of us don't see an appreciable improvement in picture quality for 5 times the price.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most here will say the 5442 series is the gold standard.

They come on ideal MP/sensor ratios and have fixed lens to varifocal up to 32mm.

Many here say 4MP is all that is needed for surveillance.

Dahua feels confident in this series in that they have new cameras out with better specs that they could have gave them different model numbers, but instead chose to keep them in the 5542 family.

Many will say the equivalent Hikvision 4MP on the same 1/1.8" sensor is just as good, but at that point, that is the debate of Ford versus Chevy or Toyota versus Honda. Personally I wouldn't trade out the 5442 for the comparable Hikvision.

Many will say Axis is the top of the line (at least in the prosumer type line), but they are also 5 times the price. Most of us don't see an appreciable improvement in picture quality for 5 times the price.
When using the Dahua NVR, do you get notifications quickly when using the DMSS app? Would you recommend the verifocal or fixed lens? What wire is everyone using between the camera and NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the notifications generally come quickly.

Cat5 or Cat 6 pure copper wiring rated for inwall or direct burial if outside.

See this thread that lists the recommended camera for the distance you want to IDENTIFY.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes the notifications generally come quickly.

Cat5 or Cat 6 pure copper wiring rated for inwall or direct burial if outside.

See this thread that lists the recommended camera for the distance you want to IDENTIFY.

Great article you supplied! I see that you recommend to include at least one night vision color camera. What Empire Tech color night would be a good complement to the 5442? It’s 40’ from where the camera would be installed to the street.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as you recognize that at 40 feet out will not be IDENTIFY but is more for overview and to be able to capture color of say a vehicle or the perps clothing color, then yes it is a good choice provided you have enough light to run that camera.